A Curious Fighting Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pete View Post
    Well, IMO, its possible. But like anything the power of embellishment to make a sale is the worst case. Are you happy with it? Knife alone it is nice.

For example in some wars like in the balkans recent or past, the knife is and was still heavilly used (in alot of ways) due to the type of fighting which was and always is ending up to be involving alot of CQB and room to room, 1 meter range in alot of towns. Alot of things are possible then, even firing LAW rockets from inside small rooms, its very interesting to speak with those that did it. How long has it been since we saw CQB of that nature where a knife could be used that many times. IMO it is possible, i need only mention the account of the low ammo in the falklands at one stage and bayonets being used, at least as described to me and I was not there to dispute the tale... But also the embellishment is possible too.

Note the rope on the grips: to anyone who has actually ever used a knife closeup like some people i know did in this war around here, blood is apparently very slippery in large amounts, to the point some loose the grip on their knife at times and the hand slips over onto the blade. Just my two cents.

Regards,

Pete
    Hi,
    It there had been any blood on that grip the string wouldn't be that colour.
    Regards
    Irv

Comment

Good point, I think you would just have to be happy with it, anybodies guess if the rope along with the sheath is original to the knife etc. I have seen knives which did documented damage to people that exhibited signs on the metal due to not ever have been truly cleaned and taken care of and some which were the same as any other only that there was a history and provenance to the item and where it had been. We need Jean loup here for that stuff.

Regards,

Pete

Comment

I do not pretend to be a master knowledge of edge weapons but one thing that has always interested me on this forum is other members fascination for them. The bigger the blade or knuckle bow the more people here say "wow".

We are all sure knifes were used to kill people during WW2 and but I find I seriously have to question a knife carried on someones person that has been notched with kills. We know that the pacific this kind of thing did go on, even the collecting of body parts. If however I were a German who happened to capture the fellow who owned this knife, what do do you think my initial reaction would be upon observing it? In my opinion its like carrying your own death sentance around with you and for that reason I think its a fantasy item.

Comment

It is quite possible that this knife is a fantasy piece, however a lot of work has gone into it. Though I do not recall where it came from I am fairly sure it was not very expensive. It is also quite possible that it is original and of the period, also with a story which no one will ever know. The notches may be for months of service, but it is not common to see this on knives, equally so the matching number on the sheath and the strange letter "T"s. In this instance this is a knife that is quite small and does not have the "wow" factor suggested, all that it is is a curious and interesting knife. In many instances, probably most, a knife was carried as a very useful and important item of equipment for practical purposes and survival. Interest in edged weapons is nothing new or unusual on this forum or any other, any more than the range of other collectibles that members have interest in. Regards, Clive.

Comment

I will weigh in on the metal work involved. To me it does NOT seem like there was a lot of work involved. All of the marks in the metal look to have been ground in with a Dremel tool(the H especially displays the grind marks). They are not consistent in depth or shape which are characteristics you see in hand done marks. The men who did this sort of thing had a lot of time on their hands between operations and the work they did is fantastic. This is amateurish at best.
            The only thing that truly took any amount of time was wrapping the grip with the cord and I could do it in about 8 minutes. Oh and of course aging it would have taken some time as well.

Gary
            Originally posted by seebee1 View Post
            It is quite possible that this knife is a fantasy piece, however a lot of work has gone into it. Though I do not recall where it came from I am fairly sure it was not very expensive. It is also quite possible that it is original and of the period, also with a story which no one will ever know. The notches may be for months of service, but it is not common to see this on knives, equally so the matching number on the sheath and the strange letter "T"s. In this instance this is a knife that is quite small and does not have the "wow" factor suggested, all that it is is a curious and interesting knife. In many instances, probably most, a knife was carried as a very useful and important item of equipment for practical purposes and survival. Interest in edged weapons is nothing new or unusual on this forum or any other, any more than the range of other collectibles that members have interest in. Regards, Clive.

Comment

Thank you for your comments and opinions Gary. A correction, the grip of the knife is a composite material of some sort, quite light weight, and not made of metal. Regards, Clive.

Comment

Very good item. I think so the man who had this knife was in Navy to can participated of each raid wrote on scabbard. There is Bougainville (BOGANVILLE) in Pacific where there was a raid in October-November 1943 by Americans and Australian troops, but I'm not sure it is that... Or maybe a litte town in France.

Comment

Thank you Bulo for further comment on this old thread. The knife I put away some while ago, it will always remain a curious piece, with nothing proved, but interesting all the same.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X