RCAF Ribbon Bar Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RCAF Ribbon Bar Question

A quick question regarding ribbons. I have been offered an RCAF Flying Officer's uniform jacket. The gent was a WAG and has a very nice ribbon bar. I wonder however if this combination is possible for an RCAF officer? They are:

Air Force Cross, 1939-1945 Star, Africa Star with Rosette, Defence Medal, Canadian Volunteer Service Medal, War Medal.

I know medals, but not well enough to understand who got what in what instances...... But would an RCAF officer qualify for a clasp to the Africa Star?

Interesting question. The first answer that came to my mind was no. BUT a rethink to that I would say YES, but it would be a somewhat rare combination. The clasps for the Afric Star are, as you are aware, North Africa 1942-43, 8th Army, 1st Army.

So if the fellow in question were in the North African Theatre it would make perfect sence to me. Or, if the fellow was attatched to the 8th or 1st Army HQ as a liason Officer.

Comment

I'm sure that RAF crews in/over North Africa and MED qualified for the 'North Africa 1942-3' clasp shown as a rosette on the ribbon bar.
      Lee

Comment

Gentlemen the RCAF was well represented in N Africa with at least two squadrons of fighters hurricans and light bombers B25 plus men seconded into other formations so I do not think there is any problem with your tunic

PAUL

Comment

Great! Thanks, I wasn't sure whether an air force officer would qualify for the 1st or 8th army clasps....but I actually forgot about the 42-43 clasp! I am well aware of the Canadian Air Force presence in N. Africa, which is why I was so excited to find the tunic. I'm so happy that this is more than likely accurate. I really appreciate the help.

Comment

Well he was an NCO at one point during the war. As a AWG he would be easy to trace as there were not a whole lot of Canadian bomber Sqds there.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X