RFC Wings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RFC Wings

I've had these three wings acquired from different sources for quite some time. I've never really known if they were of the period or of some later vintage. The pictures are not the best but does anyone have any thoughts about these wings. The dress wings are fairly tarnish so the picture might not show their rather well-made construction. Disregard the little sweetheart version.

Thanks,

Dave
    Attached Files

And the reverse...
    Attached Files

Comment

I like the quality of these wings.

Comment

I agree, These appeal to me nicely. The green wreath and crown ermine is a new style to me and does raise an eyebrow, but many RFC wings had varying colours and designs.

The toughest one to call for me is the dress wing. I do know these were made, but it's so easy to age boullion wire. torch it with a cigarette lighter for a few seconds and BAM! patina.....Still this one looks promising.

Comment

I agree with Mike, allthough I believe that the green one is not correct. I wouldn't buy it. The green is too dark, crown isn't correct and the black cloth looks post war.
          The one in the middle is a bang on, good one !
          The bullion wire is a tricky one. I don't know, should have a hands-on exam. I wouldn't buy a bullion one because I believe these were post WW I.
          I've looked at WW I pics of pilots and haven't seen one with a bullion wing on his uniform.
          Have you Mike ?

Comment

Thanks for all your comments. These WWI/WWII British/Commonwealth wings confound me. I don't know how anyone can tell good from a better repro.

As regards to the style of crown on the wing with the green wreath there are close examples in Warren Carroll's book Eagles Recalled so I could get past that. However, I do agree that the color of the wreath is a bit vivid. As regards the dress wings again Carroll indicates that these were issued in 1916 but I believe that dress wings were produced long after both WWI and WWII for reunions, etc. I find Carroll's book frustrating to use, as to be fair, I find most Schiffer publications - long on pictures, short on useful text. But, it's still the best reference on the subject (that I know of).

Thanks again,

Dave

Comment

You're welcome Dave. I would sugest that you buy those only from a very reliable source. And just buy the cloth ones. I don't trust the bullion ones.
              Well, I've seen mistakes in the Schiffer books too you know. A very good one, but that's WWII of course is "RAF versus Luftwaffe" from Mick J. Prodger, a Schiffer book.

Comment

I am in agreement on the green wreathed wing, the crown is definitely a world war two variation, and since former RFC members weren't allowed to wear RFC wings in world war two, I'd say there's a good chance it's a repro...HOWEVER please note that Carroll makes reference to a "1940's" Issue RFC wing. Canadian made and very similar to an RCAF style wing. This particular example looks nothing like the one mentioned in the book though.
                Taking another look at this particular wing, I do note that the Thread is very thick and fuzzy, and the "R" is very sloppy. The wing gives the look of being machine made, but a machine wouldn't foul up an R like that

Wings are a minefield.....no matter how many you collect, there'll always be one fake that slips past you!
                Personally I prefer Carroll's book (partly because I know the chap!), it's helped me to authenticate many wings including my upcoming thread showing my RCNAS wings and cap badges.....

Comment

The Bullion wing I like very much. I have seen pictures of them in use but it was uncommon. The middle wing I believe good as well. The green one I would have to handle to be sure but I have seen legit green wreath brevets on the uniform with full provenance.

Gary

Comment

I kneel before the master, Gary has seen a hell of a lot more stuff than I have in my collecting career.

Comment

Hi Gary,

Thanks for replying, good on you. I've seen the green wreath too, but it was always a lighter green. Need to have it in hands too.
                      Can you post a pic of that bullion one in use. I've never seen one and would love to see one.
                      Thanks Gary

Jan

Comment

Hi Jan I will see what I can dig up. My war room is a hell of a mess right now!

Gary
                        Originally posted by GD/LW View Post
                        Hi Gary,

Thanks for replying, good on you. I've seen the green wreath too, but it was always a lighter green. Need to have it in hands too.
                        Can you post a pic of that bullion one in use. I've never seen one and would love to see one.
                        Thanks Gary

Jan

Comment

Thanks Gary. A real war going on in your room ?

Comment

I do like the middle wing. For the examples I have I would have no problem with it. The green wing to me just looks a little to "clean" I do have one in my collection that has the green wreath but it a much more olive faint green than the one posted here.

Comment

You may come up with your own adjective, This is a view in the door!
                              Originally posted by GD/LW View Post
                              Thanks Gary. A real war going on in your room ?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X