Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1918 ? British ammo case.

Hi.
    Is that case packed on 1918? Am I right? Came from old attic in Estonia. Probably from the Estonian war of Independence 1918-20 when UK gave military aid to Estonia.

Regards
    K.

Last edited by kass; 08-03-2008, 03:51 PM.

Looks to be authentic ammo box packed 26 Oct 1918, containing rounds for a Vickers Machine Gun.

Comment

Any idea why the "doubtful" label is attached? Could this be something connected to the integrity of the contents?

Comment

The 3rd photo down shows a "Re-examined" label dated ? Nov 1924, so the ammo was still unused at that time. The last photo shows the "Doubtful" label and instructions to re-examine 1st Apr 193?. From this we can assume that it was used for its intended pupose or disposed of around that time. I do not know if Estonia was involved in any military actions after 1924 or not.

Comment

Ok. Thanks for the clarification.
          Estonian Army used, during the independent period, in 1918-1920 Lee Enfield rifles. During this period, Estonia and Great Britain had a good mercantile relationship. Enfield was one of the most common rifles beside the Mosin Nagant and Arisaka.
          Regards
          K.

Comment

Initially the British donated 6,500 Lee Enfields, 200 Vickers machine guns, they both use the same .303 rounds, and 6 tanks. The tanks fought in the north area, I wonder what happened to them. The British Navy alson captured 2 Russian destroyers and handed them over to Estonia.

Comment

The tanks fought in the north area, I wonder what happened to them.
              I do not know. If You are interested I can ask somebody who has dealt with Estonian Army history more deeply.

K.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Alexander View Post
                Initially the British donated ... 6 tanks. The tanks fought in the north area, I wonder what happened to them.
                The British refused do give the Mark V tanks directly to Estonians, because they were afraid they will lose the war and tanks would end up in the hands of the Red army. So instead they gave the tanks to the White Russian Northwestern Army. After the war 4 Mark V tanks became property of the Estonian army and they were in use until the Soviet occupation. Estonians had plans to buy 12 new tanks, but the war broke out...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X