Ratisbons

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were British Soldier Awarded this medal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Were British Soldier Awarded this medal?

Does anyone know if the 1958-59 Jebel Akhdar War Campaign Medal was awarded to and authorized for wear by British Personnel who helped the Sultan of Oman in putting down the uprising at Jebel Akhdar? Here is a link to Wikipedia that has more detail on this war:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jebel_Akhdar_(Oman)

Thanks,
    John
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John F.; 07-31-2008, 10:00 PM.

Off the top of my head I would say no. If I am not mistaken service in this campaign was recognized with he GSM or a 'Clasp' to the GSM.

It has been the tradition in CW forces that service medals from allied nations, for which such service covered by a 'CW' medal (GSM in this case) precluded their wear. The individual could receive the medal but not wear it.

Decorations and orders were not part of this tradition.

For example in the Gulf War 'Kuwait' issues a victory/campaign medal to all participants. US vets are allowed to wear the medals but I know that Canadian and UK vets cannot but they were all given the medal.

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
      Off the top of my head I would say no. If I am not mistaken service in this campaign was recognized with he GSM or a 'Clasp' to the GSM.
      That make sense . Thanks for the reply.

Best,
      John

Comment

Seconded personnel were eligible for the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on">Oman</st1:country-region> awards, also contract personnel, but not those in normal full time MoD employment.
        Last edited by Marc Sherriff; 08-01-2008, 12:25 PM.

Comment

HOLD UP Jebel Akhdar you say..........one of the most famous actions the 22nd Special Air Service. I`d love to be a Walter Mitty and say I have some inside information but the DCM and other medals won by Sergeant Hawkins for that action does not include this medal. Maybe he tossed the medal away but it certainly wasnt amoungst belongings when the medals came up at auction.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X