Brodies and asbestos.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brodies and asbestos.

Is there any truth to the information that the liners of Brodies contain asbestos? If so, which would be the proper way of safely storing and displaying them?

Thanks,

ccmax.

I seriously doubt it. But if it is true, don't cut, crush or damage any parts to avoid the release of small inhailable asbestos fibers.

Luc

Comment

I have heard that it is in fact old gas masks that contain asbestos? I sometimes see sellers on eBay with the masks on and it makes me cringe if it's true.

- Chris

Comment

Chris, you are right about old respirators. There is a thread on them.

Luc

Comment

1st pattern brodies as well as some US helmets made by Brodie have asbestos sheets between the liner & the shell. I assume asbestos was fitted to help reduce the amount of heat absorbed by the wearer on hot days. I will try & take photo's of my examples to show the asbestos in place.
          Simple common sence prevails when handling these helmets, don't disturb the asbestos & it shouldn't be a problem. If your really paranoid about it then wear an approved dust mask, but there is such a small amount in one helmet that unless your very careless, it's unlikely to cause you a problem.
          i've owned helmets like this for 25 yrs & have no health issues as a result, although I am a non smoker. Thousands of veterans survived the war,. many died in their 80's & 90's plus. I doubt many died from asbestosis unless they worked with the stuff.
          WW2 british gas masks / box respirators have asbestos filters. Once again, handle them with care ( and don't wear them ) & you shouldn't have any issues

Mike

Comment

I've just had another look at my Brodie MkI's, MkII's & a couple of Doughboy helmets & they all have asbestos sheets between the liner & the shell.

Mike

Comment

The liner is infact three layer for the MKII:

1. Horsehair
              2. Possible asbestos pad
              3. Sack cloth which seals the pad inside.

If 2 is indeed asbestos it is sealed and like with any of these things dont go poking it.

If of course this is very worrying for you I know a few very helpful dealers who are more than willing to pay you 20 pounds for your mark II's

Comment

Asbestos is a probem for those who actualy worked with it for years and years. I seriously doubt any health issues could result from owning an asbestos helmet or gas mask; just like it isnt a problem to own a thermometer with mercury in it.

JL

Comment

Exactly JL
                  It's probably more dangerous to have the new energy saver light bulbs in your house ( if you break one they release mercury vapour & seriously contaminate the room & everything in it ! ) than worrying about whats in a 90 year old helmet.

Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X