Should this have a 1939-45 Star?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should this have a 1939-45 Star?

I picked this medal bar up while on vacation in Seattle and was wondering if this combination is possible? I’m not read-up on the awarding criteria for Canadian/Common Wealth Medals but I would think that it should have the 1939-45 Star.

Thanks,
    John
    Attached Files
    Last edited by John F.; 07-27-2008, 08:51 PM.

John,

My references advise that one had to complete six months operational service to qualify for the 1939-45 Star

Wherever he was, I suspect that your chap hadn't completed the required time. Possibly a late enlistment. I once owned a group, and its entitlement certificate, that contained the France and Germany Star, but no 1939-45.

The Defence Medal is a nice feature. In many ways I reckon it means more than a star.

Regards,

Mike

Comment

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Best,
      John

Comment

Nope, served in Canada and England for less than 6 months. I`m guessing when I say RCAF.

I dont know if you realised all those medals are silver.

Comment

Originally posted by yellow View Post
          I dont know if you realised all those medals are silver.
          That I did know . Is a matter of fact the value of the silver content is worth more then the price I paid for this bar. Maybe I should melt it down and sell it for scrap?

Best,
          John

Comment

My uncle had this exact combination.

Anyway he volunteered for service in late 44 (CVSM) after he turned 18, trained in the artillery and was in Halifax to be shipped overseas, the ship embarked but never made it the UK as the war in Europe ended on the way over and for some reason they whet back to Halifax. Then it was back to Pettawawa and a short stint in the US retraining for the war in the Pacific, then was all set to go there and was even part of the advance party in Hawaii but then the War truly ended and he was sent home. He got his medals and demobbed in Vancouver, and arrived as a civy back home in Halifax exactly 364 after leaving in the first place.

He got the clasp for going through Hawaii which was 'over-seas' as it was not at that time part of the US or I think more properly the 'North American' theater of operations. Not sure why he got the defense medal though except he was 'at sea' when embarking for the UK as well when he was on his way to 'Hawaii' and he had some time in the US training

One should be on the look-out for a 'Zombie Pair' group which is just the war and defense medal what was awarded to a few of the conscripts (zombies) who when north to serve in the Aleutians campaign or even the few that were sent to Greenland, Newfoundland and Iceland, and the very lucky ones that were posted to Bermuda.

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
              My uncle had this exact combination...He got the clasp for going through Hawaii which was 'over-seas' as it was not at that time part of the US or I think more properly the 'North American' theater of operations.
              Wasn't the overseas bar awarded for leaving <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on">Canada</st1:country-region> which included the <st1:country-region w:st="on"><ST1US</st1:country-region> and it territories? My uncle got his for being in <st1:State w:st="on">Newfoundland with the Northshore NB Regt.</st1:State>
              <st1:State w:st="on"></st1:State>
              <st1:State w:st="on">John</st1:State>

Comment

Correct service in Newfoundland got you the bar

Paul

Comment

A rather common combination, actually. Sometimes to late war types, as pointed out, but also to staff types, clerks, etc who never made it past the UK into a theatre of operations. Found combined with WWI pairs/trios quite often as these men sometimes served as instructors or administrators as various HQ in the UK.

Sadly, since we didn't see fit to name our WWII medals...we'll never know to whom these belonged.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X