B.O.A Unofficial Parachute Qualification Wing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B.O.A Unofficial Parachute Qualification Wing

This is a most unusual Wing and probably manufactured here in the UK. It is for the B.O.A (Bureau des Operations Aerienne) a part of the Free French, F.F.I, B.C.R.A , the Intelligence and Action Office. The manufacture and quality of this Wing is superb. I have never seen one of these before and wonder if any Forum Members have. It is in mint condition and clearly has never been sewn to a Uniform. Unusually it has a dark brown background. Comments and observations welcome. Regards, Clive.
    Attached Files

Close up of centre
    Attached Files

Comment

Rear of Wing
      Attached Files

Comment

That's a classic replica that has been sexed up with the cross of Lorraine. Found in abundance on ebay.fr

Cheers, Luc

Comment

Are you really that sure about this Luc? Please post a scan of the version that you say is found in abundance in France. The quality of this Wing is excellent and nothing like the replicas-fakes IMO. Regards, Clive.

Comment

Clive, unfortunately Luc is spot on with this. This a fake wing with the addition of the Cross of Lorraine. I can go into details if you like but really this is one of the more commonly encountered type of fakes.

Thanks
            Jack

Comment

Thanks for that Jack, I am interested in more details that you mention. This is not a Wing I have encountered previously, nor have I seen the copies-fakes that are mentioned. I certainly would like to see another, also an original of the Wing if possible. Checking my copy of "French Airborne Troops Wings and Insignia" (Baltzer & Micheletti) I thought my one looked good. I will attach a copy of the page No 68 and a close-up of the image in the book. All I really could note that was different was the outline shape of the Wing's background. Regards, Clive.
              Attached Files

Comment

Close-up of Wing in the book. I guess that it may not be original, but I am sure this pattern did exist.
                Attached Files

Comment

Unfortunately IMHO that book has more bugs in it than Windows Vista.

This pattern never appeared in any other book before this one was published and soon after it was publish a number of these brevets came on the market.

I never saw one before two years ago.

Baltzer & Micheletti might of got a hold of a one off or two (who knows what was done 60+ years ago) but for them to suddenly start popping up all over the place is just not right.

I know it is not in Braggs and Turner's first edition it could be in one of thier latter editions (I do not have it handy)

Comment

Originally posted by seebee1 View Post
                    The quality of this Wing is excellent
                    I have to disagree Clive, to me it has "fake" written all over. The design is bad, the material doesn't look good and the stitching is tight and typically sloppy on the reverse.

Perhaps I should clarify my definition of abundant: availability that simply doesn't add up to the production numbers.
                    For instance: you will find AAC cap badges on ebay at all times. Considering they were only worn by a small number of paras and glider pilots, something isn't right. In my experience, a good one will turn up roughly once each couple of months.

Cheers, Luc

Comment

No problem Luc, we will agree to disagree. It may be that this Wing is better "in the hand" than it appears in the images. I have a few examples of French made copies and replicas, but this one is by far the better quality. The fellow who sold me the Wing is sure it is original, but now I have doubts. In having said this I will be keeping it, I like it and have no plans to pass it on. Coming back to the seller, someone I do respect, he is a member of the International Parachutist & Special Forces Insignia Collectors Group, "Chute & Dagger" and the American Society of Military Insignia Collectors (ASMIC) and the American Airborne Association. I know he would not knowingly sell something he believed to be a fake or replica. Anyway Luc, or Jack, please post the copies that you mention, and even better an original. By the way, I agree that there are a number of insignias and badges about in recent years that we have not seen in the past, this does raise suspicion for sure. A good example of this is the SUSSEX Team badge. I have seen many for sale in the last couple of years and have bought a few myself. Having visited the superb SUSSEX Team Museum in France a few weeks ago and held in my hand an original, I now know that all those for sale are out and out fakes or replicas. regards, Clive.

Comment

Hi Clive,

I have to say I'm afraid I agree with Luc and Jack here but am sorry I don't have pictures of the fakes to post.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

I don't have a picture on disc of an identical example, but I will let you know when I come across one.

Cheers, Luc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                          X