Major General Gale Beret ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major General Gale Beret ???

Ok .... heres an "interesting" item .. ??

"Major General Gales Airborne Beret "

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Maj-Gen-Gale-C...3286.m14.l1318

Gary J.

Interesting but not In a good way eh

They had his uniform too; A friend researched his medals and entitlements etc and the thing was apparently littered with mistakes. Not something I'd want to own.

BTW, good to see you the other day mate.

Yours, Guy.

Originally posted by Gary Jucha View Post
    Ok .... heres an "interesting" item .. ??

"Major General Gales Airborne Beret "

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Maj-Gen-Gale-C...3286.m14.l1318

Gary J.

Comment

How is possible to sell an items(if real) that must be in a museum??

Comment

Agreed....still let the buyer beware...no evidence as to where it's come from...also sellnig a Browning jacket......the (old) Museum at Aldershot has items from both of them.....but I'd be very wary of items such as this....about 5 years a bloke on ebay tried to sell a tunic which he claimed was from Colonel G Warrack the chief doctor at Arnhem but was a total fake.......

Comment

Which is the link for the Browning jacket??
          Thanks!

Comment

Remember

Niall,
            I remember the "Warrack" jacket well ... you did some background research which proved the item to be "duff" !

I did also see the jacket and trousers "attributed" to Gale on E-bay ... but it just didn't seem to ring true.

Guy ....
            .. Hence the "interesting" being highlighted !
            As ever .. good to see you again, ... my mate is delighted with the 24th Foot kit .. pass on his (and my) regards to the Para chaps from Norwich ..

Gary J.

Originally posted by airbornemedic View Post
            Agreed....still let the buyer beware...no evidence as to where it's come from...also sellnig a Browning jacket......the (old) Museum at Aldershot has items from both of them.....but I'd be very wary of items such as this....about 5 years a bloke on ebay tried to sell a tunic which he claimed was from Colonel G Warrack the chief doctor at Arnhem but was a total fake.......
            Last edited by Gary Jucha; 07-24-2008, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Prove it Hoggy!

he has some seriously nice gear in from time to time, swords that I would expect to see in museum. I wonder where he gets it all from?

I`m just wondering why the print inside the beret is almost mint yet missing the plastic diamond?

Comment

Plastic diamond

Plastic diamond ! .... ???????

I don't recall seeing plastic diamonds over the manufacturer print in WW2 para berets .. or is that just me ??

Gary J.

Originally posted by yellow View Post
                Prove it Hoggy!

he has some seriously nice gear in from time to time, swords that I would expect to see in museum. I wonder where he gets it all from?

I`m just wondering why the print inside the beret is almost mint yet missing the plastic diamond?

Comment

Your of course right Gary.

I was just wondering why a General would have a standard kangol beret and not one made by a top london tailor?

Comment

No you are rught Gary, they don't have a diamond. Glad your mate Is happy with the Zulu stuff.

That's some pretty funky looking manufactutrers details, the old potato and plimsoll whitener routine I suspect .

Yours, Guy.

Comment

Thank

Thankfully no cowdung camo on the pith helmet !!! (I had to carry it home in my spotless car !!!! )

Gary J.

That's some pretty funky looking manufactutrers details, the old potato and plimsoll whitener routine I suspect .

Yours, Guy.[/quote]

Comment

The stampings on that beret are very dodgy! And look at his service dress, it sports post-war wings!
                        http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Maj-Gen-Gale-C...3911.m14.l1318

I agree hogspear has some amazing stuff, he must have thought he can get away with everything.

Cheers, Luc

Comment

Hes making so much money on eBay that when you write to him his personal assistant replies

Comment

Imagine a bat man letting his General walk around with his wings underneath his Divisional Insignia, and wearing a Mr Potato head stamped beret. Mmmmn A load of Bollocks. Some poor suckers going to waste his big money and no way to warn them.

Talking of Graeme Warrack, I've his 1st ever copy of Travel By Dark after Arnhem, dedicated to his wife " For my darling wife. 'This my first copy' With all my love Graeme 17th September 1963. No scam etc. It is pucka and no I'm not after selling it.

Comment

The parachute qualification wings on the BD blouse are a real problem, not least because Gale never qualified for them (he did make several jumps, including both night and water landings) and was consequently never photographed wearing them, either during the war or at post-war events he attended in uniform. Not an encouraging start....

All the best

Paul.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X