Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1914 mons star medal.

Picked up this 1914 mons star medal and the lady said he was
    a pow in ww1. Is there any way to verify that through records?
    Attached Files

#9829 Pte M.Lang C GDS.
    Attached Files

Comment

there should be someone on board who has a handle on the regimental history

PAUL

Comment

Coldstream Guards the British War Medal is missing, possible pre war service.

The MIC would help - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...sultcount=1234

Comment

Thanks for the help, i got his card, says he was Coldstream guards
          P of war. Was he awarded the British war medal? also what are
          those letters by campaign? when could he have been captured?
          Last edited by Erichjr; 07-19-2008, 02:04 PM.

Comment

pic
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Erichjr View Post
              Thanks for the help, i got his card, says he was Coldstream guards
              P of war. Was he awarded the British war medal? also what are
              those letters by champaign? when could he have been captured?
              The letters by campaign are BEF - the British Expeditionary Force (the Old Contemptibles). He was also awarded the British War medal, the letters 'do' beneath the Victory medal mean 'ditto'.

Comment

Looks like he might have surrendered at the retreat of Mons or landrecies?

Comment

Originally posted by Erichjr View Post
                  Looks like he might have surrendered at the retreat of Mons or landrecies?
                  Very possibly - we took a bit of a pasting at Mons & Le Cateau against overwhelming numbers. My great grandfather was in the 2nd Manchesters and was wounded and captured at the Le Cateau crossroads during a rearguard action on 26th August 1914.

Comment

Yes that confirms he was indeed a prisoner very possible an early one.

Comment

There is a red cross index of all Coldstream Guards captured in 1914 for which it was intended to distribute Christmas gifts to. If you ask Mons nicely I`m sure he will able to find the link on the BMF for you.

Comment

Here's the red cross link - http://www.icrc.org/eng/contact-archives

Comment

Originally posted by Mons 1914 View Post
                          Here's the red cross link - http://www.icrc.org/eng/contact-archives
                          I recommend the ICRC, I contacted them last December and they gave me a list of POW camps where my GGF was held.

Comment

Not the same link Scott, on this site you can actually download the entire rolls for 1914 in PDF format. I remember commenting on that thread on the BMF "shame there is no Lincolnshire".

Comment

I'll have another look Steve, that search engine can be tricky!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X