silver war badge question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

silver war badge question

would a soldier wounded by gas in the first world war have been entitled to get the silver war badge?

thanks jon

BEING GASSED DID NOT ENTITLE A WOUND STRIPE FOR SURE MY GRANDFATHER WAS WOUNDED THREE TIMES GASSED THREE TIMES HAD THREE WOUND STRIPES ONLY 42ND BATTN. I have to think this applied to thesilver wound badge but he probably would get the big discharge certificate.

PAUL

Comment

A wound stripe is issued for a period of hospitalisation due to a wound.

A Silver War Badge can be issued due to gas poisoning if this was the cause of discharge. Very often gas poisoning caused TB of the lungs. Many soldiers after having been discharged died as a result of this and have no war grave. Very sad that they have been forgotten.

Comment

thanks for the replies and the info

Comment

Originally posted by yellow View Post
          A wound stripe is issued for a period of hospitalisation due to a wound.

A Silver War Badge can be issued due to gas poisoning if this was the cause of discharge. Very often gas poisoning caused TB of the lungs. Many soldiers after having been discharged died as a result of this and have no war grave. Very sad that they have been forgotten.

You are so right there yellow. Many of these men died slowly and painfully alone. I am currently researching one such fellow. In civilian life he was a Chiropratic Physician. He was discharged prior to the wars end due to being gassed. His official cause of death, IIRC in 1933, was Tuburcule of the Lung. I have yet to finish my research but I know where is burried.

Of course this soldier does not show up on the CWGC site.

Comment

I have a medal to a chap a fortnight after he was reviewed by the medical board died due to TB of the lungs. His percentage disability was classed at 100. So he must of been unable to walk. He has no war grave despite being well with in the commonwealth war graves cut off date, the argument is he was discharged from the army so no war grave. His death in my opinion is attributable to military service.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X