Thermos webbing case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermos webbing case

Guys, I recently purchased a Thermos and protective webbing case. I know very little about the item so I'd appreciate any kind of info: when introduced, was it an army item or RAF, production numbers etc..
    What are those red disks for on the inside of the lid??? And is the padding really made of what it looks like, layers of cheap and awful carpet?
    Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Luc

Could you post picture of the thermos?

Is this the smallest version?

I never seen military version with wooden handle, all were with wire only.
    Army version had an arrow on the bottom plus "Thermos", civilan only "Thermos", there are also some differences in shape of the top cup as well as in material.
    1943 thermos had top cup from steel, post-war army and civilan versions from aluminium (some with Thermos name on the top).
    Other differences were in construction rivets/screws, but I'm not sure which one were earlier.

Army were painted: black, khaki, some black were with instructions, other it was just natural metal, without paint.
    Civilan were light green.

They were used in the airplanes, gliders and to deliver food to vehicle crews:

I hope somebody will know more about them.

Comment

Here are some pictures of the Thermos Mietek:

It is dated 1943 and the base plate is fixed with screws, my 1944 dated example has a plain steel wire handle and plit pins to hold the base plate.
      Both are 11.5cm wide and 24.5 cm high.

Cheers, Luc

Comment

Anyone?

Luc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X