Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commenwealth Battalion?

I picked up a victorian LSGC medal named to a Gunner R.kerr C. B. R. A,
    Would that stand for Commonwealth Battalion Royal Artillery?
    Last edited by Erichjr; 07-14-2008, 04:59 PM.

It could be Coastal Battery Royal Artillery.

Comment

Would not be 'Commonwealth' as that term was not in general use during Victoria's reign it is a much later concept.

I think the only time it was used in a 'Fighting Military Unit' was during the Korean War when it was the '1st Commonwealth Division'

There was also the 'British Commonwealth Occupation Force' in Japan but I think that is about it and maybe some other minor ones and of course the largest Military organization of the war BCATP, but note all of them has 'British' in them.

It was actully I think the Indian's and Canadains who finally prevented 'British' being added to unit name and I think since 56 most of us colonial types have learned our lesson and have gone over to the US side, were we are at least treated as an equal partner.
      Last edited by byterock; 07-15-2008, 07:35 AM.

Comment

The medal came out of scotland. Were the scots considered commonwealth?

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
          It was actully I think the Indian's and Canadains who finally prevented 'British' being added to unit name and I think since 56 most of us colonial types have learned our lesson and have gone over to the US side, were we are at least treated as an equal partner.
          Interesting perspective.

It's Costal Battery, Brent was spot on.

Comment

It is something that has intrested me for awhile actully. I should really get off my butt and go look at the archives and see if I can look up why the name came about.

Me thinks it is one of those little name changes that goes mostly unnoticed but actully has a great deal of meaning behind it.

Comment

Thanks for the help....

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X