Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SAS Beret - Please take a look

Hi Everyone,

I originally posted this some time back (I've had it a few years now!) and the replies were quite damning. However, I've since done a little more investigation and I am now totally confused as to exactly what I have.

As you'll see from the new photos, there are no lug holes behind the insignia; also, the cap band is leather.

And notice the tonal difference where the piece of fabric (piece of a Denison smock) was sewn behind the insignia.

Incidentally, since there are no lug holes and as such the fabric isn't hiding anything, would it make sense that the fabric would have been used to reinforce the insignia?

Finally, the name tag appears hand sewn rather than machine-embroidered.

Anyway, sorry to burden you all with this for a second time but if anyone could tell me exactly what I have (original, fake, mix of the two, etc.) and help me lay this to rest once and for all, I would be most grateful.

Thanks for looking.

All the best,
    Toby.

PS Here's the link to the previous discussion on this beret:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...toby+sas+beret
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TobyR; 07-11-2008, 07:46 AM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi, If the original replies were quite damning, why do you think they'd be any better the 2nd time around? Well I know your a regular and all that but you asked for the thing to be put to bed, so here you go. Please take this in the spirit it's meant and not take a huff.

It's a modern Beret with a modern badge with a ludicrously dated name tape made to 'show' it is old and wartime and authentic and has some sort of provinance. What the reenforcement rubbish is about is anyones guess, but probably just a bit of old material to try to show some age. A put up job purely to catchout some gullible complete SAS novice collector. I'm sorry but it seems to have worked a treat.

My advice. Put it back on Evilbay with the title "Messed with Modern SAS sand stylee beret" and hope a soft paintballing 12 year old will buy it. OR frame it as an example and reminder not to be so silly ever again! Then stick to collecting stuff you do know about.
                  Last edited by tynesideirish; 07-12-2008, 12:43 PM.

Comment

With the greatest of respect that could cut both ways couldn't It?
                    http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=282415

Comment

Caught

In cricket terms .... "Caught and Bowled" ..

See you Wednesday Guy have the bacon sarnies and tea ready for 9.01am !!

Gary J.

Originally posted by Beau Brummel. View Post

Comment

The beret shows nothing that would like to see on a genuine WWII example. I'm not sure about the cloth badge, I think it could very well be genuine but modern at best. The added name tape is a pathetic attempt to suggest this is a 1943 beret.
                        Good for reenactment though.

Cheers, Luc

Comment

will do mate, you might have to bring the bacon though.

Yours, Guy.

Originally posted by Gary Jucha View Post
                          In cricket terms .... "Caught and Bowled" ..

See you Wednesday Guy have the bacon sarnies and tea ready for 9.01am !!

Gary J.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. Most definitely dead and buried now.

Best,
                            Toby.

Comment

Originally posted by Beau Brummel. View Post
                              Hahaha It certainly does. I've hopefully learned from my expensive mistake. That's the main message. Now I certainly won't even touch items I don't know about. Mike

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X