Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lord Ashcroft, the VC and posterity.

Hello all,

thought you may be interested to know that it has just been announced that all 152 VC's of Lord Ashcrofts collection have been loaned to the Imperial War Museum for public display.

I was quite surprised to learn he had bought his first in the early 1980's.

The museum plans to add its own examples to create a new display to showcase the men and medals.

Patrick.

Good for him!

Comment

About time. Though I seriously doubt that it will be the genuine VC's on display. Think of the insurance costs! I always thought that they put them on display but a curator at a regimental museum once told me that insurance was the problem because they were so irreplacable. The real ones kept in a safe and very good copies on display with the real other medals. IWM London ain't no Tower of London!

They are things of beauty though, and having been up close to one I have to say one of the most humbling feelings I've ever had. When you read the history behind the recipients it truly shows you what bravery and courage really is. Of all medals though I expect they cast the longest shadow.

Comment

With the New Zealand incident still fresh in the memory you can guarantee very, very expensive security, or replicas

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
        X