Unusual knife, or is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual knife, or is it?

A very recent eBay pick-up and looks to me like a weapon and easy to hide. It is about 6" long and the blade has a blood groove on one side only. It has the owners name and a manufacture mark as well. Possibly made in India, but really no idea. It may of corse be something to do with sewing or knitting, but I doubt it. Regards, Clive.
    Attached Files

In its sheath (just realised I can not spell course-see above!)
    Attached Files

Comment

Owner name
      Attached Files

Comment

Last image-Manufacturer markings
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Clive,

The first thing that struck me was how it looked like a modified half of a scissors. The sheath is much better quality than the blade itself and the blood groove(actually the term is fuller, it is there to provide strength to the blade not to move blood about) looks to have been ground in much later. That aside it does look quite interesting, though I daresay I believe it to be a marriage of a very fine sheath and modified scissor date unknown.

Cheers
          Gary

Comment

Thanks for the comments Gary. The blade is thin and I do not think suitable to have been a part of a pair of scissors. It may have been ground, but believe it was made for a specific purpose. Regards, Clive.
            Attached Files

Comment

Possible method of use? regards, Clive.
              Attached Files

Comment

A few thoughts

To me it looks like a weapon.

If it was made from scissors, shouldn't there be a hole for the rivet joining the two blades together.

The name of the manufacturer - is it Thos - short for Thomas Hislop ?

Richie

Comment

Using it like that you would likely injure you self more that the person you are after.

The one thing it does reminds me of is a gimlet or vent pick.

In last days of muzzle loading cannons (Napoleons and Parrot guns) a tool like this was used to stick down the barrel vent to clean it out and puncture the powder charge.

Comment

Originally posted by seebee1 View Post
                    Possible method of use?
                    That looks pretty painful when you hit a bone!

Luc

Comment

I don't believe that the item in question is sturdy enough to be considered a purpose built weapon. Also, when held in the manner shown it would not be very stable in the hand and would easily twist to one side or the other and likely cause harm to the individual wielding it. Therefore my vote would be for some sort of tool other than a weapon.

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys, some good observations. It may well have another use, apart from the weapon possibility, so will go in the box of unidentified objects! All the best, Clive.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X