No announcement yet.

Arnhem attributed Fighting Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is good news! I'm happy that the knife will be returned after all this time.
    It would be great to see a picture of Mr. Turner holding the knife. Not as evidence, don't get me wrong but only to see the smile on his face.

Cheers, Luc

Comment

Incredible to say the least, with so much personal memories and history a very happy ending.

Comment

Fair play Clive! Your gesture will no doubt be greatly appreciated by Don and his family. Kudos to you.

Comment

happy end for all,

What an incredible story, good to hear that throughout the interference of Ade, one on the forum who I highly respect, this story probably will have a happy end. But pleas let it be a happy end for everyone involved so that Don gets what historically belongs to him, Ade to get a medal, but for Clive to at least get his money back because either way he will be losing. We must not forget that for him this was more than an investment or collectors item which he purchased in good faith. So I hope that at least he gets compensated so that he wont be losing double in this story and also has somewhat of a happy end for him, cherishing the thought that he did the right thing by returning his beloved item to the rightful owner. If money is an issue to prevent this stories happy end than I would suggest some sort of collection/trust here on the forum to do what’s right and to make a positive statement, especially after all negative issues of the last week, to the good part of our collectors community, if needed you can sign my name in on that trust, for Clive and Ade, good job done collecting friends.

Comment

Clive

Clive,
            Thats a very fine personal gesture ... good for you !!! well done

[quote=Beau Brummel.;2524327]Oh you believe this knife then? I thought you didn't believe provenance
            .... Naughty naughty Guy !!! Gary J.

Comment

You know me too well dear boy. As I said just a little jape.

Marvelous conclusion Clive, I feel for you regarding your loss but some things just have to be done, as I said before you are a gentleman sir.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

Oh you believe this knife then? I thought you didn't believe provenance
                My dad used to collect swords. I believe inscriptions on acid etched blades. To have that done today would probably cost more than the dealers retail price of a second pattern knife.

Comment

Look at some of the spurious etched inscriptions that appear on German daggers. Since the fall of the east with all It's redundant industrial capacity there Is very little that is beyond the capacity of the fakers. Not being argumentative just illustrating a point.

Guy.

Comment

I was only aware that India and Pakistan faked British edged weapons. I would love to see an example of anything british with an etched blade that is confirmed modern eastern block manufacture.

I would say the chrome and etching on this example it pretty unique although I would interested to know from Ade if the majority of Dons mates had their knifes done the same.

Comment

I didn't mean outright fakes, rather guilding the lilly as such. There was a rash of spuriously etched fairbairns about 3 years ago, I remember seeing a couple at Beltring. Just as inspection marks have been added over the years then so have etchings. As these things become more valuable then more ingenuity and of course money go's into the deceit. Also you are trying to twist my statement to suit your own ends, I did not state fairbairns were being etched in the former Eastern block, rather that It Is being done to certain german daggers there so why not?

I find It a trifle worrying that you are willing to believe etched blades yet you discard the other forms of provenance we have discussed in the past, now who's kidding themselves. You were quick to condem my friends battle damaged helmet which has a photo of It on the owners grave with the laughable assertion that they have been faking them on ebay for years yet, you happily believe etched blades which, with the correct knowledge, are a piece of piss to fake. Anyway, this is probably not the correct thread to be discussing this. Anyone have a Fairbairn with dodgy etching they can start another thread with?

Guy.
                      Last edited by Beau Brummel.; 03-16-2008, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Heres quite a pretty example I found after 2 minutes search

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...hlight=etching

they get much much better than this believe me.

Comment

Originally posted by yellow View Post
                          I would say the chrome and etching on this example it pretty unique although I would interested to know from Ade if the majority of Dons mates had their knifes done the same.
                          Hi Steve, I have never seen or heard of this done before by any of the other Vets within the XXI.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Thanks Ade. So what we have here is a potentially unique personalised knife with a living veteran to confirm this item was indeed his own. There can be no argument.

The blades that my father collected were Wilkinson blades, each of which can be attributed to the original purchaser from Wilkinsons records. That is a more credible source than a collectors or dealers 'say so'. So yes I am prepared to accept etching on Wilkinson blades pertaining to servicemen as original.

Comment

"The blades that my father collected were Wilkinson blades, each of which can be attributed to the original purchaser from Wilkinsons records. That is a more credible source than a collectors or dealers 'say so'. So yes I am prepared to accept etching on Wilkinson blades pertaining to servicemen as original."

Steve,

Employing the logic you yourself used In our previous debate It would be very simple for someone to have copies of etching stencils made up from etched examples in their possesion and turn out a series of convincing and desirable copies for profit.

Similarly, employees of any manufacturer would have access to all sorts of things they probably shouldn't and again the potential for deception Is there. However I'm not going to go that route as it would be bloody minded and petty of me.

I tend to agree with you regarding the Wilkinson customer lists and If your Dad collected examples with this kind of provenance he Is a shrewd man and I suspect had a very nice collection. I know that for myself those would be exactly the ones I would like to own. Don't suppose you have any pictures do you?

Yours, Guy.

Comment

An update forum friends. You will be pleased to learn that both Ade and I will be jointly presenting and reuniting Don with his Fighting Knife, in mid-May at the XXI reunion. The Knife will then remain within his families safe keeping for the years ahead. Watch this space for the pictures of the event in due course Regards, Clive.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 7 users online. 0 members and 7 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X