No announcement yet.

Black Beret - Original or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These a lot of work gone into that badge, removal of the Royal Crest, remove and then replace lugs all for what?

Comment

£1.50 Marc. I know the guy who sold them. That was his wholesale price 10-15 years ago. Labour in India is cheap.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Beret 2

Thank you for the comments. Marc it does seem a lot of work to alter this badge, in fact I was certain this was original and the beret may not have been. Lee G neat image of the Tank Regiment beret and badge, I will be leaving mine as it is though. Gary J you are quite right about the use of the Black Beret by the Free French. I know for certain that the French Jedburghs used them and with the clipped British Parachute Regiment's badge. I think that the French SAS may have used them as well, but not certain.

I am posting another Beret which I feel confident about. Based on previous comments on the Beret I am sure it is an original, and this time I am sure about the clipped Parachte regiment Badge as well Clive.
        Attached Files

Comment

Inside Beret. Made by Kangol Wear Limited and dated 1944
          Attached Files

Comment

Owners Intitials
            Attached Files

Comment

Lable
              Attached Files

Comment

Fastening for Cap Badge. This time just one of the vent holes have been used and the lugs are not repositioned or altered.
                Attached Files

Comment

Clipped British Parachute Regiment Cap Badge
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hi Clive, again a nice beret.

But sorry to say I have a horrible feeling that the badge is fake. Have a good look at it via a loupe. Are you sure it is not a "Blob" fake that has been worked on? Aside from that, have a look at some originals posted on the forum and note the shape of this set of wing feathers. The fakes are very angular whereas the originals have a mored rounded and flared look to them. I have marked the pic to show the area, (actually on both sides) which you need to look at.

Cheers, Ade.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Now that is disturbing Ade. As I recall this beret is veteran aquired and I have not touched it, nor removed the Wing. I have never had any reason to doubt its authenticity. At the moment I will resist removing the badge to check the back, really as it is well fastened and the badge and cotter pin are shaped and curved. Will post two more images, the shape of the wing and a possibly better picture of the front taken in natural daylight. Regards, Clive.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Image taken in daylight. I can see no evidence of this being a worked on version of the pattern with the die fault "blob". As for the shape of the wing feathers I do not see any fault with them.
                        Attached Files

Comment

That`s correct, its indeed the French badge. They weren`t loyal to the British King, so the crown had to been removed.

Jeroen

ps A foam head is very bad for caps, beret, etc etc. It hurts my eyes...

Comment

Hi Clive, that is a much better pic. I think it is OK now.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Thanks for that Ade. Out of possible interest I will post part of page 159 in Peter Taylor's Allied and Special Forces Insignia 1939-1948. Overall this is a very good book, but there are a number of errors, as most will know. The SAARF Wing on page 185 is a definite fake, also the embriodered Title on the folowing page and so are the Jedburgh items on page 182, there are others as well. Anyway, back to page 159. A "clipped" Parachute Regiment Wing with the die flaw "blob" mentioned on the reproduction thread. Not in any way trying to defend Taylor's image, but is it possible that an original could have been made with this flaw. Whilst it is credible that reproductions demonstrate this, why not an original as well, who can prove this conclusively? Regards, Clive.
                              Attached Files

Comment

re

Hi,

After november 1944 french SAS are with maroon beret. But it's possible that french Jeds continue to have black beret.
                                Your black kangol beret seems good.

Regards,

FAB

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X