Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WWI British bag.

Hi
    These where found in one attic in Estonia. Brits where one who gave military aid to newly formed Estonian units during the Estonian Liberation War(1918-20), and after that. Could anybody tell the purpose of these bags? The first one is marked 1918 and the second one is 1923?. Although the second one is similar in some construction details, one person told that it is Russian?? Cant really cypher the words on the stamp.
    Thanks.
    K.

The first one is British. The second one I do not recognise. I would tend to think Estonian???

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Hi Kass and Ade, I don't recognise the bag but the metal work seems a strange mix of German and British. Those hook supports look very like the ones on German combat straps. Finnish? Perhaps someone from the German equipment forum could help? Cheers - Adam

Comment

Hello Kass,

Both of the packs are British WW.1 vintage pattern 1908 web equipment large packs.

The second one has been altered by adding partial '08' webbing cross straps at the top rear, American and Gerna attachment straps, and various leather reinforcing patches on both sides of the top flap to act as securing mounts for other peaces of equipment and straps. This configuration is similar to the older style of hikers pack which was very popular during the 50's to the 80's, therefore, nothing really to get excited about.

In my view, the only one worth keeping as original is the first item shown.

Seph
        Last edited by findabetterole; 02-22-2008, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Thank You all for the replies.
          Seph,
          do I understand correctly, that You say the second bag is altered afterwards? Sorry I do not quite catch the description of the second one.
          Does anybody have an example/picture how the lower ends of the straps of the first pack close?
          Strap is just put trough a loop in the bottom of the pack. One strap has then hand stitched to secure it but other is loose. Should`nt there originally be a some kind of a buckle or clamp to adjust and secure it? Thanks.

Comment

I think that second pack it is a military conversion.
            Hooks are added to be connected to amunition pouches, there is no need for them in civi pack.

Comment

Just info update. Second one is pre WWII Latvian Army.

Comment

There is priobably a Latvian collector somewhere going potty trying to find a pre war Latvian rucksack . I think its collectable in its own right as an interesting piece of militaria . Rob
                God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X