Canadian Machine Gun Corps Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian Machine Gun Corps Badge

Can anyone please tell me why this badge was sold to me for 4 pounds by a very knowledgable British dealer?

My assumption is because it is fake...............I see that the lugs look to be the bigger British type, but a well known collector of Canadian WW1 militaria (famous for his little dog) shows exactly the same badge as genuine on one of the peaked caps in his collection.

Can someone please tell me why this badge is a fake? Thank you.

This badge is very common and for some stupid reason has been faked by sand casting method . Your badge without hands on looks like it may be stamped and the lugs look good so you may have a common MG badge cheap.
    But if it is cast it is fake either a reuinion badge or a paki whatever. I have seen strikings of this badge so cheap looking and thin but right as rain.

PAUL

Comment

I didnt realise the badge was common in Canada. Sounds a lot like the British MGC badge which is common in the UK.

My badge is die struck brass with a gilded finish. I have put all my weight in trying to bend the badge, but it just wont budge.

I`m very happy that you think this badge is genuine from the pics...dealers always confuse me when they are selling things cheap. It not very often you get bargains from the most experienced.

Thanks,

Steve.

Comment

10$ is about how much you would pay for one of these in Canada anyway.

There are common because they were used by the MG corps well after the war until the 36 when the corps was disbanded

Comment

Sorry I disagree with that the generic crossed machineguns was used until 1936 for sure but this badge was retired in 1919

PAUL

Comment

Not the prettiest, but looks perfectly correct to me. I'd be happy with it, Steve.

Fair price too, I think you'd be lucky to get ANY CEF badge from a dealer here for 10 bucks these days...except a general list.

Comment

Thank you for the replies everyone. I havent seen this badge for sale in the UK before , dealers here are asking 10 for a British MGC so this has to be a bargain.

Comment

Be happy with this one. As others have stated, it certainly appears to be a genuine badge from the photos. I see nothing to cause alarm bells to ring. Your description of the sturdiness of the badge sounds very good as well. IMO you did pretty good on this one. Congrats and enjoy.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X