Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unusual Fighting Knife-Has anyone seen this pattern before?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual Fighting Knife-Has anyone seen this pattern before?

Some years ago I bought this knife here in the UK at one of the old Nottingham Arms Fairs. Whilst looking at the "Resistance" Knives on another thread I recalled the similarity in part of the design.

This knife is exceptionally well made, heavy and well balanced. The blade length is seven and a half inches, the grip length is four and three quarters of an inch, the width across the Ricasso is one inch and the Crossguard width is just under two and three quarter inches. There are three bands of knurling, this is probably made from machining the grip down in width. Another unusual feature is the Thumb indentation, similar to that found on the American V-42 First Special Service Force Stiletto. In this instance there are no groves. The Scabbard was with the Knife and may be original to it, I do not know. If it is then it would suggest the Knife may have been made in England.

The question is who made this knife, when and for who for? Thoughts and answers appreciated, Regards, Clive.
    Attached Files

Reverse
    Attached Files

Comment

Knife showing side with Thumb indentation
      Attached Files

Comment

Close-up of Thumb Groove
        Attached Files

Comment

Reverse side of Knife, Flat Ricasso.
          Attached Files

Comment

Pommel Nut detail
            Attached Files

Comment

Perfect balance!
              Attached Files

Comment

Before this posting slips into obscurity do any of the Knife collectors have any opinions about this pattern? I have owned it for a while and this is the first time I have shown it anywhere. I have searched all the knife books and not found one that is similar, a real puzzle. Thanks, Clive.

Comment

Sorry Seebee I think this is the closest you will get to knowing the truth. French resistance or home guard knife? I realise its not the same but its the nearest match I can find. Damn, I miss the Nottingham Arms Fair, those were the good old days. I was there for the last one, I would like to think most of the forum showed their faces to show their support.

http://gotavapen.se/gota/artiklar/fs...nife_steel.htm

Comment

Many thanks for your comments Yellow. I do know the pattern that you posted, however this knife is different in many ways. Whilst there are some similarities with the grip, my version is very heavy and probably machine turned to form the shape and the three knurled raised sections. It may well be that this is an unknown pattern, I was hoping someone would have seen it before. As for Nottingham, ahh the good old days Clive.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X