Ratisbons

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How old is this UK leather ammo bandoleer ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How old is this UK leather ammo bandoleer ?

Somebody gave me this old leather ammo bandoleer which appears to be British broad arrow marked. The guy who gave this to me thought perhaps it had to do with the Ross rifle?
    Anybody recognize this? vintage?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NickG; 02-04-2008, 01:27 PM.

another view

close up
    Attached Files

Comment

markings

This is what baffles me...it appears to be WW2 dated... 1942?
      Marked: "DLW +arrow+ 42"
      Is it a WW2 British Home Guard leather bandoleer? or older?
      Any ideas?
      Thanks
      Nick
      Attached Files

Comment

That is a bandolier from the 1903 Pattern equipment, which replaced the Slade Wallace (1888) as the basic equipment pattern for the British Army, but was in turn replaced by the 1908 Pattern web gear.

However it was issued to mounted troops into the 1930's, especially in India apparently, where it was favoured for guard mounts and ceremonial - far easier to buff leather to a glossy shine than web gear!

It was also used by second line units in WWI and at Gallipoli, so issue to the Home Guard in 1942 would be quite probable. Some units considered using pikes when the incvasion scare was at it's height and probably could have found them in an armoury too - armies do not throw out anything!

A very nice item indeed!

Peter Monahan

(my source, btw, Osprey's British Infantry Equipment 1808-1908

Comment

Great info! Thanks! It was a gift from somebody that did not know anything about it...but gave it to me as I collect militaria stuff. So it must be somewhat rare...the '42 still puzzles me...certainly not made in '42, its an obsolete item... re-issue date???
          Could it have been used in the Boer war also?

Comment

The '42 mark is probably a stores or re-issue marking - every dog had to mark 'his' property and I've seen old rifles with 4, 5 even 6 "stack numbers" on the butts. So very likely issued to the Home Guard or recruit battalions in War Two - still held 10 round clips quite nicely.

As it is '03 Pattern, it would not have seen service in South Africa. In fact, it replaced a canmvas bandolier issued to Boer war troops (cavalry and mounted infantry) on an ad hoc basis.
            The canvas issue were sent out full and were, the story goes, to be 'one time use' but were, given the exigencies of service refilled multiple times. However the canvas just had loops - like a modern shotgun shell belt and as the canvas aged it stretched and rounds fell out.

So much so in fact that by '02, in the last months of the war, the last hold out Boer Commandoes (they invented the word, you know) though starving and in rags, kept themselves well armed by following British columns and picking up the trail of lost rifle rounds with which to fill the Enfield rifles they'd taken from Britsih prisoners! Funny old world.

Peter

Comment

Is it cavalry version? I thought that cavalry version has ammo pockets on both side, while infantry on front side only (I assume to allow carrying the backpack).

Leather bandoliers were used on parade by Polish soldiers in Italy in 1943 or 1944.

Comment

I found REPRODUCTIONS of these for sale on the web from a place called IMA-USA.com.
                They describe these as being:
                Officially designated as "Bandoleers for Mounted Infantry"
                "These are quality new made British P-1903 five pocket bandoleers intended to carry 10 clips each of 5 rounds, two to a pocket. Complete with brass buckle and tie down strap these come in the original tan leather colour of 1903 issue. Used through WWI and again in WWII"

So yes indeed also WW2 used! Good info! I am pleased with my original one (WW2 re-dated)
                For comparison: here's what the REPRO looks like (around $44 USD)
                Attached Files
                Last edited by NickG; 02-06-2008, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Surely they were used during ww2, but mainly by colonial troops.

I looked at "British tommy 1914-1918", there is written that this pattern, with five front pouches only, was issued to infantry, while mounted troops used version with five pouches on front and four on back side.

Comment

Originally posted by mietek View Post
                    Is it cavalry version? I thought that cavalry version has ammo pockets on both side, while infantry on front side only (I assume to allow carrying the backpack).

Leather bandoliers were used on parade by Polish soldiers in Italy in 1943 or 1944.
                    You are right Mietek, I checked my library and found a picture!
                    Free Poles did adapt these P03 leather bandoleers for ceremonial use in Italy!
                    Worn here along with white blanco'ed pistol belts!
                    Very cool!
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by NickG; 02-07-2008, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X