South African Medal Group for WW2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South African Medal Group for WW2

Hi all, I just picked up this medal group to a South African soldier. As you all know these are named. I was wondering is anyone can help me out re basic military service? The medals are all named: 213870 A.E. LEWIS.

Thanks in advance,

Greg
    Attached Files

NO ONE OUT THERE?????

Comment

If your curious what the medals are, L to R 1939-1945 Star, Africa Star, Defense Medal, War Medal, South African Service Medal.

He definatly served in Africa, during WWII as a South African.

Oh, and pleas be patient my freind, there are plenty of talented and insightful people here, you don't have to rush them!

Comment

I'm no medals expert, I'm an RAF guy, but That's a nice bar! I've never seen the South African service medal before, very interesting!

Comment

There seem to be rather a lot of South African groups on offer these days.

A bit out of my area, but as I understand the South African archives recently made it more difficult to get copies of service records. That said, I believe there are some competent researchers there, that are able to get some information copied and sent to you.

An interesting bit of anecdotal info. During WWII the South Africans had an institutionalized racist numbering system for their soldiers. Prefixes denoted the ethnic extraction of the soldier. For example "C" was for coloured soldiers (usually mixed blood), "M" for Malay/South Asians, "N" (if memory serves me) for "Native" ie. Black South Africans. The lack of a prefix, as in this example, denotes the soldier was of caucasian ethnicity.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Adam H View Post
            There seem to be rather a lot of South African groups on offer these days.

A bit out of my area, but as I understand the South African archives recently made it more difficult to get copies of service records. That said, I believe there are some competent researchers there, that are able to get some information copied and sent to you.

An interesting bit of anecdotal info. During WWII the South Africans had an institutionalized racist numbering system for their soldiers. Prefixes denoted the ethnic extraction of the soldier. For example "C" was for coloured soldiers (usually mixed blood), "M" for Malay/South Asians, "N" (if memory serves me) for "Native" ie. Black South Africans. The lack of a prefix, as in this example, denotes the soldier was of caucasian ethnicity.

Cheers,

Adam
            Thats really intresting! Made me take adouble take on my group, mine must have been a Caucasian fella.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X