Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Researching family members WW2 service?

Hello everyone.
    Recently my auntie gave me my great uncles cap badge & africa star who i remember taught me English as a child but never spoke about the war.
    My auntie in America just sent me some pictures of my Grandfather in Italy, because his marriage was over by the time he returned to Wales in 1947/48 they eventually lost touch with him.
    I was wondering if there was any way of researching their WW2 service?
    All we have is names, date of birth, place of birth. Great Uncle was in Kings Own Regiment, on the back of one of my Grandfathers photos is written "Black Watch", another he has written "Gordon Highlanders".
    Would appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction.
    Thanks, Ant.

Hello Anthony,

Service records are free of charge for the veteran & Wife, Son, Daughter etc would have to pay a small fee £30 I think, but you would have to prove any connections as they won't give out information to anyone IE death certificate or a written letter.

Army Personnel Department
    Historical Disclosures unit
    Mail Point 400
    Kentigern House
    Brown Street
    Glasgow G2 8 EX

Hope this helps
    Scott

Comment

Thanks so much Scott, really appreciate that. All of my Grandfathers children are still alive & my Auntie in the States has a copy of his death certificate, i assume my Mother could also get one from South Wales.
      As for my great uncle, his niece (my auntie) is still alive so i guess this would be OK?
      Thanks again, Ant.

Comment

I would think so, get as much information as possible.

I'm unsure weather a copy of the death certificate would be OK, you might need an original but I'm not sure may be someone else could help on this.

Scott

Comment

Hi Ant, in addition to what Scott has told you, please see here:

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_...e_records.html

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X