A.T.S - M.I.D. Grouping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A.T.S - M.I.D. Grouping

This A.T.S. Grouping I think is fairly unusual due to the Mention in Dispatches Certificate. I do not know if many members of the A.T.S. received this award and would be keen to hear from any forum members who may be able to comment. The letter with the actual award cerificate states "for gallant and distinguished service", is there any way of finding out exactly what this was for, or is this just a generalisation? The following are a few images of this grouping, there are more documents and photographs, also her Husband's similar grouping as well. I will post his medals at the end of this. Clive.
    Attached Files

Identity Discs, not often seen with Agnostic.
    Attached Files

Comment

Inside Army Book 64
      Attached Files

Comment

Interesting Leave Form signed M.Churchill. The red arrow was by Mrs Read.
        Attached Files

Comment

M.I.D letter dated 13th June 1946.
          Attached Files

Comment

Mentioned in a Dispatch for Distinguished Service Certificate, plus two small Oak leaves.
            Attached Files

Comment

Part of her Husband's Grouping, his Medals.
              Attached Files

Comment

Wow great group. You are right not many MID ATS Stgs. and Agnostic at that.

And the medals were ever used for both husband and wife.

Did they survive the war I wonder??

If they did survive why did they never wear thier medals???

Comment

You can search online the "London Gazette" and read why she is mentioned in Despatch.

It's worth a try !

Comment

I've had a quick look :

Date: 21 May 1946
                    Issue number : 37575
                    Page number : 2486

W/35345 Sgt. E. M. S. READ.

SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/Sear...7575&gpn=2486&

Comment

[quote=byterock;2425530]Wow great group. You are right not many MID ATS Stgs. and Agnostic at that.

And the medals were ever used for both husban and wife.

Did they survie the war I wonder??

alot of folk really dont give a damn about chocolate gongs, after the war people carried on as normal. and dont forget ,then, you had to APPLY for your war medals and most thought , sod you .cant fault them. with most service personell, its only years after your service that you start to get really sentimental about wearing medals, its like your representing the guys who lost their lives and who are no longer on parade with you. just my opinion.

Comment

Her husband's medals does the certificate show both the Burma and Pacific stars as only one (the one earned first)can be worn with the appropriate bar for the other?

John

Comment

Thank you for your comments guys. The link to the Gazette was excellent, I did not know this could be done via the internet. I am still keen to know exactly why she recieved the award, it seems that this would be difficult to establish. Both the husband and wife survived the war, there is a post-war image of her in the grouping, will check for one of him though. It seems probable that neither wore thier medals at any time. The point regarding the Pacific and Burma Star, one should be a bar, is interesting. I left the grouping at my office and will check the certificate next week. Many thanks, Clive.

Comment

I'd just like to say thats a really interesting group you have there, not really my collecting area but nonetheless its really nice, especially the "AGNOSTIC" dog tag.

Comment

This is the Husbands Medal Award Certificate John, just the mention of 4 Awards. From what you have said, one of the Medals should have been a Bar. No idea why both Full Sized Medals were included. Will post a better image of the Efficiency Medal with the Militia Bar. 2338211. SIGMN. A.E.READ. R.SIGS. engraved on the rim.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X