RAF Warrant Officer's Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RAF Warrant Officer's Cap

Hello all, just recently received this beauty from Belgium. Textbook RAF WO's cap, early variety with the contrast white stitching around the crown. The cap stiffener is still in place. I got it from a friend of mine, who sent it to me as a surprise, and I'm waiting to hear the story of how he got it and where he got it from.
    The Buttons are cloth covered and the wool is what I would consider officer quality.
    I would venture a guess that it is unissued

I will post more information when I get it from my friend

33 views....nobody with any opinions?

Comment

I'll give you a comment.....Nice damn hat! Though your photography skills leave a lot to be desired!

Gary

Comment

I know, i'm no photographer. These photos were taken at night in my basement, there was no natural light to use. I could have waited for the next day, but I was too excited. Waiting would have killed me.

I wish I could photograph my visors as good as RonR does with his. He's the photographer I wish I was! I'll try harder next time

Comment

Hey !!

I'll add comment...very nice visor cap !!

Vic

Comment

What a very disappointing cap!
            I would recommend that you put it on the E Stand immediately and wait for a better one to arrive.
            In the meantime, I can be happy with such an "inferior" cap in my small RAF collection as condition isn't important to me.

Was that the kind of response you were looking for?

I always LOVE to see these caps with the spiral quilted tops and the velvet piece sewn to the sweatband where the forehead would otherwise touch the leather. The cap is a classic example of the fine quality of officers' uniforms put out by British clothiers and tailors. I think one would be hard-pressed to improve upon this one as an example.
            Thanks for sharing the images.
            Now to go wait on E-Stand to see if you're going to post it up!
            Allan

Comment

Well Allan, maybe if you wait long enough it'll show up there, but I don't think It will this century! If I manage to find one as inferior, I'll fire it your way.

And now, here's the story behind this beauty:
              My friend acquired this from a collector who buys from a small antique shop in Reims, France. He went to see this gentleman, and acquired this hat for me. He traded an RAF Service Dress cap for it.
              The gentleman's father was a Warrant officer 1st class in the RAF during world war two. He bought this hat in 1943 but never wore it, probably waiting to wear out his first one I would imagine. To the best of my knowlege he didn't serve in the RAF after the war was over. It's been in storage since day 1. The Original owner's name was George Filberston.
              It's what Stonemint over in the TR cloth headgear forum would call a "depot queen"
              I'm glad to finally find a WO's cap!

Comment

Originally posted by LuftMike View Post
                Well Allan, maybe if you wait long enough it'll show up there, but I don't think It will this century! If I manage to find one as inferior, I'll fire it your way.
                Mike,
                I will hold you to that! Thanks for showing the cap and its story.
                Allan

Comment

I keep on looking all round for the stick to go with the cap. Ive only ever seen one example that I can 100 precent say for sure belonged to a WW2 Warrant Officer.

Comment

You're right yellow, it's almost impossible to find a warrant officer's staff. Honestly, I'd never seen a warrant officer's visor (like the one that started this thread) until I'd opened the box it came in, I've only ever seen the cap badge. Usually I find facsimiles on ebay that are surplus 60's caps, with the two grommets in the front panel for the device to attach to. Mine is definitely a period piece. The other kind I've seen is the "upgrade" style, with the cloth visor, but these still confuse me as to their originality. All I need now are a Padre's RAF cap and an Air Commodore to Marshall's cap and I've got the whole set.....wishful thinking!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X