Searching for Grenadier Guards offr.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching for Grenadier Guards offr.

I collect medals, militaria, literature ,etc. to the Grenadier Guards. I have owned an officer's forage cap for sometime, but today, I just happened to turn the sweatband inside out, and saw the name written in ink: Maj. G. Bergeron.
    I cannot find this officer listed in any of my Army Lists, or books on the Grenadiers. The cap is a typical post 1952 Herbert Johnson made example, but I would guess that it is a least 30 years old. Any assistance in providing information on this officer would be most appreciated.

Bob Shoaf

Bob,

A bit of a shot in the dark, but have you considered the possibility of this having been worn by the Canadian Grenadier Guards (CGG) in Montreal, QC, the Governor General's Foot Guards, Ottawa, ON or the Canadian Guards?

Bergeron is a fairly common name in Quebec and other Francophone regions of Canada.

I know the CGG use a lot of the same sort of accoutrements as the GG, but to what extent I am unsure. Also, the CGG and the Governor General's Foot Guards (GGFG), of Ottawa, combine to provide the Ceremonial Guard at the Parliament buildings in Ottawa...so perhaps this Bergeron was in the CGG/GGFG/CG.

Just some food for thought...

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

Thanks for your input, but I believe any relation to the Canadian Guards is unlikely. Any cap that I have seen, or owned for the Canadian Army was made in Canada, for example by Scully of Montreal .
      The Grenadier Guards have had some very un-english names in their officer ranks over the years; perhaps my favorite being Claude Champion de Crespigny. Also some Polish names, etc. Not all were younger sons of the aristocracy, although many were, of course. Thanks again.

Bob Shoaf

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Shoaf View Post
        Thanks for your input, but I believe any relation to the Canadian Guards is unlikely. Any cap that I have seen, or owned for the Canadian Army was made in Canada, for example by Scully of Montreal .
        The Grenadier Guards have had some very un-english names in their officer ranks over the years; perhaps my favorite being Claude Champion de Crespigny. Also some Polish names, etc. Not all were younger sons of the aristocracy, although many were, of course. Thanks again.

Bob Shoaf
        Bob, please DO NOT discount the notion of this Cap not being Canadian based on it not being made in Canada. My father, an RCAF Officer, his cap was made in England. Many Canadians wore heardress produced in the UK.

Comment

Indeed, just a guess that he may have been Canadian. The cap's origin wouldn't sway me as to the wearer being British. Plenty of Canadian regiments source kit thru the UK, and have for many years. In particular are the highland and Irish regiments, and I would think the Guards with their own trappings and traditions would be likely to as well. We used to buy from the UK quite regularly when I was with the colours.

If you haven't already you may try trawling the London Gazette for entries with his surname, it's hit or miss (and a frustrating search engine at times) but often with good results.

Comment

Grenadier Guards

Unlike most of British Regiments their service records are held entirely by the Brigade of Guards. You may contact them with a General query at the following.

OIC Records
            Regimental Headquarters Grenadier Guards
            Wellington Barracks
            Birdcage Walk
            London

I am an ex Coldstreamer and my army records are held at the Coldstream Headquarters, same address.

Comment

Thanks for the input; I keep forgetting to contact Regimental HQ, Grenadier Guards. I also have a Grenadiers officer's sword, with initials that don't match anyone listed in my Army Lists; it's a GeoV era sword.

Bob Shoaf

P.S.
              During my visit to London in 1976, I met a Coldstream Sgt. at the Guards Museum, who gave me a Coldstream Sgt's peaked cap, cap badges, and buttons; what a wonderful chap. I believe his name was Bushare. Nulli Secundus!

Comment

Grenadier Guards

His generosity does not surprise me. We ex guardsman of any of the foot guards Regiments are extremely proud of our regiments. Once a Guardsman always a Guardsman. We have been around for over three hundred years!

Comment

I, as well, would not discard it being possibly Canadian. I have many forages caps in my collection (including the ones I was personally issued) made in the UK.
                  With a name like Bergeron it's even more of a possibility.

Comment

G Bergeron is not in any of the following

1937 Army List
                    1954 Army List
                    1958 Army List

Comment

Grenadier Guards Officer.

Every officers commission is published in the London Gazette. Its a long slog but if all else fails.

Comment

I think Adam is correct and this cap isnt a Majors Cap belonged to Sergeant G. Bergeron MMM CD.

Comment

I assume you meant to say MM, for Military Medal. I can assure you that the cap is 100% certain a Grenadier Guards officer version. Foot Guards officers, from 2nd lt, through lt. col. all wear the same cap, with gold braid on the peak edge, unlike officers in line infantry regiments. I appreciate the input, but I believe the Canadain trail leads nowhere.

Comment

No I do not mean the Military Medal I mean the MMM.

I have looked in the LG and this is the only match......a Canadian as Adam said. The cap may well br British, purchased by a Canadian for use in the Candian army.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X