WW2 Aussie 2/12th inf. btn. uniform set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW2 Aussie 2/12th inf. btn. uniform set

hey guys I just thought I would share my latest acquisition with you... a 2/12th infantry battalion officers uniform set named to TX6048 Richard Conrad Skinner. He originally enlisted in the 40th infantry battalion in 1940 however discharged in 1941 and on the day he discharged; he joined the 2/12th infantry battalion. The 2/12th infantry battalion, in my opinion, are very underrated. They were at the siege of Tobruk and fought the Japanese in the pacific region however never received the laurels the famous 9th division received. It was quite lucky he went onto the 2/12th btn. as the 40th battalion were nearly all captured as a part of the ill-fated sparrow force.

The tunic and hat are beautiful tailor made examples. The tunic is 1945 dated and was made in Hobart. I highly suspect that Lieutenant Skinner had these made for a victory parade. The tunic has three overseas chevrons, 2/12th infanty btn. patches, Tasmania HQ patches and a medal riband containing the 39/45 star, africa star and pacific star. Both tunic and hat are named to him.

I hope you all like it!
    Attached Files

the front view of the tunic.

- Chris
    Attached Files

Comment

very nice mate

a quick question for you, Im looking at a ww2 artillary kiwi grouping with sam brown belt and sword hanger,

comes with taliored tunic, made in NZ, Christchurch has name and date 1942 on taliors tag, and matching pants

has all buttons, collar badges and pips etc,

any clue to what this is worth, they have it on for like 450, was going to offer 380.... any help would be great, as been rather new, its hard to find out what anzac gear is worth

thanks again

-Ric

Comment

hey Ric I am not an expert on NZ things but $450 sounds a very reasonable price for the set. If you get it for $380 you'll be laughing

- Chris

Comment

I requested to see Lt. Skinner's service record and it turns out he was seconded to Brighton PoW Camp here in Tasmania. That explains why he has the Tasmania HQ patches. Unfortunately, it also appears he passed away in 1984.

- Chris

Comment

Chris,

Another nice set. Any chnce for sme closeups? I would love to to see the hats makers label especially.

Cheers
            Gary

Comment

hey Gary thanks for the reply. What kind of closeups would you like to see? Here's a pic of the inside of the peak cap. As you can see; there is no tailors lable or makers mark. I strongly suspect this was tailored with a uniform (not necessarily with this one as the material doesn't seem to match... perhaps the hat was made at the same time as his earlier uniform was made?) but you can see where Lt. Skinner wrote his name in it.

- Chris
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Chris,

That is a corker! I had one possibly made by the same tailor about ten years ago but a friend reeeaally wanted it so I let him buy it. It was tailored in Sydney. Is the tunic from Sydney as well? As for closeups how about the cap badge and the unit flashes. I am interested in how they are sewn on.

Many thanks!
                Gary
                Originally posted by chippler View Post
                hey Gary thanks for the reply. What kind of closeups would you like to see? Here's a pic of the inside of the peak cap. As you can see; there is no tailors lable or makers mark. I strongly suspect this was tailored with a uniform (not necessarily with this one as the material doesn't seem to match... perhaps the hat was made at the same time as his earlier uniform was made?) but you can see where Lt. Skinner wrote his name in it.

- Chris

Comment

hi Gary, the hat is certainly a good one and is in near mint condition. I have a feeling he didn't take this hat to the Middle East with him but it was made at a later date. The tunic is made in Hobart, Tasmania; which is where Lt. Skinner lived and where around less than half of the 2/12th infantry battalion came from. It is also where the Brighton PoW camp was located.

I will get some close ups tomorrow for you

- Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X