P type para Helmet "DuckBill"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P type para Helmet "DuckBill"

A technical question concerning the early "P" type British para helmet.

The "DuckBill" on the back of the rim, what was the intended purpose of this fitment ?

.. (Was it a neck protector/absorbtion fitment to cushion any rearward motion causing the helmet to bash into the exit ring when jumping from Whitley or similar ? )

Gary J.

Gary, there are many theories about its function but as far as I know the original reason can't be found as all relevant documents are missing/lost.

Luc

Comment

So which lucky bugger has one of these in their collection?

Comment

Hartenstein

Only one I've seen is in the Hartenstein Museum - Oosterbeek !!
        ..And one which was on e-bay circa 2001 which had the duckbill cutoff, and did not reach it's reserve of around the £2200 mark even then !!

Gary J.

Originally posted by yellow View Post

Comment

Originally posted by yellow View Post
          The one on my website is from a private collection in the Netherlands.

Luc

Comment

Originally posted by lnijherald View Post
            The one on my website is from a private collection in the Netherlands.

Luc
            Hi Luc,
            Is that the one featured on the "Tommy Talk" forum ?

I know that Marcus Cotton has one with the early style chinstrap. It will feature in his new book. They are pretty rare !

Regards,
            Steve

Comment

Yes it is Steve, the owner was kind enough to allow me to show it.

Happy New Year!

Luc

Comment

It was still in use at Arnhem, although in very small numbers I think

Comment

John Frost

I heard a story that John Frost was wearing a P type at Arnhem ....
                  .. Can anybody confirm this ??

Gary J.

Comment

Sorry Gary, can't confirm a unit

Comment

He wore one during the Bruneval raid, don't know about MG.

Luc

Comment

I've seen at least one photograph of a parachute stick attributed to 'Market Garden', but certainly at least late war British Airborne troops and one man has this type of helmet, I also recall at least one original helmet has reputidly been recovered from the Arnhem area, not sure if it's the one museum or a dig-up though.

Comment

There are 2 known Arnhem ones, no dig ups are found as far as i know

Comment

So not all P type helmets were given back in when the fibre rim helmet was issued?

Would like to see photo's if anyone knows where they are specifically?

Paul.

Comment

P Type

Hi Guys

I have two of the Helmet Crash Parachutist's or P Type in my book on the 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion "Into the Maelstrom".

There is no explanation for the rear flare other than to divert rain water.

Many of these helmets were reissued with the flare cut down. This should not devalue the helmet because it ensures it was worn in combat. The only others that continued to wear it in its original form later in the war were those at the Airborne Experimental Establishment.

When 1CPB arrived in the UK, British Stores tried to shove a bunch of these on to the Canadians. They wore a few of them until they came to the attention of Brigadier Hill. He had them turned in for the newer types.

You can see them being worn by the odd British paratrooper in September 1944 and likely again in March 1945 in the cut down version. This because there was always a shortage of helmets, esp after battles.

Ken

Originally posted by Paul Brennan View Post
                              So not all P type helmets were given back in when the fibre rim helmet was issued?

Would like to see photo's if anyone knows where they are specifically?

Paul.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X