I was feeling more devilish than the guy who made the "devilish" post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was feeling more devilish than the guy who made the "devilish" post

After becoming really depressed at Jacks special forces finds I had to take action. If I told you where this came from you would never believe me.

The photo album consists of every photo from the day the man was born until the day he died. Yes, there are special forces photos in there.

He was an SS Brigade officer. Knew the great DurnfordSlater, rubbed shoulders with Lord Lovat and was pally with Mountbatton. He even managed to get a sneaky little dance in with this countries monarch when she was just a youngster! The medal was from the hand of the king...... rest assured that it was not for washing dishes behind enemy lines.

Steve.

Fantastic grouping Steve, many congratulations Clive.

Comment

Thanks Clive, when I first got this I couldnt sleep for two nights. Never before have have I been so excited about militaria.

Would you be surpised if I told you there were only 289 MM's to the SS for WW2? Not a lot considering the unit had 10K of men that served. All of them being totally fearless soldiers who risked being executed under Hitlers orders.

Steve.
      Last edited by yellow; 12-23-2007, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Very nice group Steve, was the MM for an early war action?

Scott

Comment

A fine looking collection I see he souvineered an Italian cap badge .Rob
          God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Sadly not an early award, but this man was in the first Police intake so probably did some of the early jobs. Havent had this long so need to do my research. Note the number of campaign stars all obtained during his time with the SS.

He became an officer ready for D-Day. It seamed the MM started a cycle of promotions from Sergeant, to 2 Lt, to Lt, to Captain then Acting Major. Not just anyone could be an officer in the SS Brigade.

Rob is correct from his observation. That is an Italian badge. I posted a more detailed photo that badge on the International forum, so far no one can ID it. The badge is positioned next to the MM for a reason, its an Italy award. One of two men of a seven man party who were not caught and executed by the Germans.

This is in fact the second MM Ive handled to the SS, the first had a far weaker citation (parent unit Lincs) only four lines, this one has an entire page of A4.

Steve.

P.S. Wonder if Ade will notice, this mans parent regiment is the good old Notts and Jocks.
            Last edited by yellow; 12-23-2007, 09:47 AM.

Comment

Great group Steve, thanks for showing it

Comment

Hi Steve, I did inded notice the Regt Great grouping and I am looking forwards to you finding out more about him.

BTW I have moved your thread about the unknown badge into the Italian forum.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

A very nice Xmas pressie for yourself, my friend!

Wonderful collection...I can see why you had trouble sleeping.

Now get to the research and let us all in on his story

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

bloody hell!
                    there's a book in that lot....maybe even a movie script.
                    Nicest thing i've seen here since the Highlanders' Waterloo medal.

Comment

Thanks for you comments chaps. Its a real shame that what your seeing is only half of the material to this man. I am 100 percent certain that there is also paybook and more paperwork signed by Mounbatton...........maybe I`m just being greedy wanting that as well.

Thanks for moving the thread Ade, I never knew there was an Italian forum. Theres an interesting connection between the medal and the badge but I wanted some experts who collect that stuff to look over it first.

Thanks,

Steve.

Comment

Very, very outstanding grouping! It's a beaty!

Comment

Badge belonged to Fascist XII sector Railway Militia NCO, which fits with the story. It would appear that some of these men were looking for this chap.

Steve.
                          Last edited by yellow; 12-24-2007, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X