Maroon Beret on Ebay - Real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maroon Beret on Ebay - Real?

Hello, would anyone care to give their opinion as to whether this beret is an original WW II issued item, and if it is what would be an average price for such an item. Thanks for your help and imput.

Ebay auction number200184743674

looks good to me

Comment

To be honest I’m a bit stumped by this one. I just looked at the one I have and the maker markings is totally different from mine. The look of the beret is wartime but I’m now unsure of the markings, it may well be that the earlier berets had a different stamp. I would like to see what others think.

Ed
      Attached Files

Comment

I sent an email to the seller asking him to turn the beret inside out and take a few photographs, including any stampings or thread details. I'll post these when and if I receive them, thanks for your imput....Gerry

Comment

I think it is ok, I've seen identical stampings on other 1944 dated berets. Perhaps it was changed in 1945?
          And then there's also the Dorothea Knitting Mills limited company from Toronto, but I don't know or sure if they made maroon berets too.

Luc

Comment

Correct Luc
            The Dorothea Hats Ltd logo is the first type of stamping the company changed to - Dorothea Knitting Mills in 1945 not sure on the date of this, the beret looks fine to me, you can easy see the wave pattern in the crown looks unissued so it's had a shelf life..

Scott

Comment

Beret is fine! Pitty that its mentioned here , I think there are a lot of people who fancy it !

Ik las je email gisteren Luc, en je hebt idd gelijk....

Jeroen

Comment

Nice looking beret.

Stampings look ok to me too.

Incidentally, Dorothea knitting mills are still in operation and still produce items for the Canadian military. (they also make nice sweaters!)

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

"The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale"

Comment

Hmm, I wonder who made an irresistable offer outside ebay.

Luc

Comment

Originally posted by lnijherald View Post
                      Hmm, I wonder who made an irresistable offer outside ebay.

Luc
                      Now that it's off the market, I can say that it was a 100% correct piece and something that I have never seen for sale before. One of my friends was going to go after it and I didn't want to drive up the price on him.

I have a 1945 dated Dorothea and a 1945 dated Grand-mere in my collection, but I've never seen a 1944 dates one for sale. Hope it went to a good home...

Gary

Comment

Looks unissued which imo is a bit dull .The sneaker must have offered a huge ammount as I am sure it was being watched by a lot of people ,if the seller had held his/her/its nerve he/she/it could have got an awfull lot off dosh imo.Rob
                        God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

Is that what these people are called, 'sneakers'? I`ll remember that.

Can you not get struck off eBay if the seller decides to expose you?

Steve.

Comment

I emailed the seller asking him why he removed the listing early, this was his response

" I was selling the beret on behalf of a friend who has had a change of financial circumstances and has now decided to keep it hence the early closure."

Comment

Originally posted by teltec01 View Post
                              I emailed the seller asking him why he removed the listing early, this was his response

" I was selling the beret on behalf of a friend who has had a change of financial circumstances and has now decided to keep it hence the early closure."
                              This is also what he told my friend who was going to bid on it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X