Sat in cellar for 80 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sat in cellar for 80 years

then Mr Bitsandbobs gets it and chops the sleaves off you have to laugh . Rob.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2ND-INNISKILLI...QQcmdZViewItem
    God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

What a bloody MORON!!!!!!!

Gary
    Originally posted by ROBB View Post
    then Mr Bitsandbobs gets it and chops the sleaves off you have to laugh . Rob.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2ND-INNISKILLI...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Fungus is a dangerous thing. If you brought that inside and stored it with the rest of your militaria I can assure you that the fungus would spread and destroy items alongside it.

When it comes to fungal infected items dont bother.

Steve.

Comment

Good point Steve ,perhaps a visit to the local dry cleaner might be in order . I think the rarity of this uniform deserves a bit of conservation ,if Mr bitsandbobs hadnt removed the sleaves I would have had a bid and had I of won I would have taken some expert advice on its future life .But as Mrbitsandbobsandscissors has sliced it up I wont be .Rob
        God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

This is indeed a rare item, although as rare as as it is, its still in very poor condition.

My guess is if you tried to dry clean it, the jacket would probably fall to bits or maybe the dry cleaners would refuse to take it? Expert museum conservation is the order of the day.

What makes me mad is not the fact the jacket has been snipped but the fact that the seller has listed this item on eBay. It just goes to show that there are some people out there prepared to screw the last penny out of anything. Where would of been the harm in just giving it away?

Comment

"What makes me mad is not the fact the jacket has been snipped but the fact that the seller has listed this item on eBay. It just goes to show that there are some people out there prepared to screw the last penny out of anything. Where would of been the harm in just giving it away?"

Give it to who? Not everybody knows a militaria collector, and even most of use would refuse such a damaged piece ( though I wouldnt). A few years ago, something like this would have ended up in the garbage; now it ends up on ebay instead; I think we should be thankfull for that.

Then again, at least if he had thrown it in the garbage, somebody might have found it... intact

Comment

Its evident from the the other items this man is selling hes either a dealer or collector. He should know better.

In an attempt to make the items saleable on eBay he has destroyed it. Ebay has caused its destruction, I see nothing positive about that. Jean I would of been inclined to agree with you if the item was still in one piece!

At best the seller is going to make a few pounds out of this, what is he about to list next pebbles out of his garden?

As for who this item should of been given to, I think anyone with the facility to restore it. Not any Joe Bloggs collector with a passing interest. Some reputable museum like the National Army Museum or maybe even the museum located on the site in France where the military cross was won.
              Last edited by yellow; 12-17-2007, 11:54 AM.

Comment

This is true, but, there are many ways of dealing with fungus. I have a textile museum 15 minutes from my house. They know how to deal with fungus! I guarantee you that a simple look through the phone book where he is located would have found someone able to deal with the issue.

Gary
                Originally posted by yellow View Post
                Fungus is a dangerous thing. If you brought that inside and stored it with the rest of your militaria I can assure you that the fungus would spread and destroy items alongside it.

When it comes to fungal infected items dont bother.

Steve.

Comment

Unbelievable, Mr Scissorhands redefines stupidity!

Cheers, Luc

Comment

i would love to give a shot at fixing this and bring it back to something what it looked like before!do you reckon it would be worth bidding and tring to fix it?

Comment

If you have access to a skilled tailor absolutely!

Gary
                      Originally posted by paddywhack View Post
                      i would love to give a shot at fixing this and bring it back to something what it looked like before!do you reckon it would be worth bidding and tring to fix it?

Comment

i was thinking of first cleaning it up as best it could and then getting it repaired!my problem is though im not on ebay but i guess there means and ways around everything!

Comment

It would be an extremely interesting piece if not for the fact that it is in such horrible condition. I dont think any amount of restoration could restore it, the huge amount of mold on that thing is disgusting, and he also says there is moth damage. I would not bring something like that into my house. Mold is deadly stuff.

Comment

iv had mold on tunic before where i have gotten them off and it never returned(though it did take a while to do) so not impossible then a good gently clean and you never know what might be the end result!you know it wouldnt hurt to try as it has been destroyed at the moment!

Comment

Anyone would think from what you guys have said that by cleaning the fungus off your left with brand spanking new material!

From my own experience Ive found that when cleaned the material underneath is discoloured and if any of it manages to get to leather it will totally destroy the tanned surface.

.........I`m not talking about just a few tiny spots that appeared over night. I wish I had a handy textile museum nearby.

Steve.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X