Unknown British knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown British knife

Any info on this knife appreciated. Came with a Hitler Youth Dagger. Not even sure if it's military or not, still got grease on it as when it was found in an uncles safe a little while ago.
    It's stamped Morton & Sons Sheffield.
    Any help appreciated, thanks, Ant.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Comment

3 again
        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Not an issue knife, but one I suspect which could be bought as private purchase and used in service?

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

That's how i was thinking Ade, at first i thought it was a boot knife, but then saw the strap that looks like it was meant to be put on a belt.
                  Couldn't find an issue knife that had the same handle.
                  Ant.

Comment

Just double checked in Ron Flook's book on British fighting knives. Nothing that matches in there. A search on Morton & Sons did not bring up much either, other than there were two knife makers in Sheffield in the mid 1800's with that surname:

Morton George, cutler, 19 Mulberry street
                    Morton George, 176 Bath street

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Thanks Ade, interesting stuff, i wonder if we'll get any closer to an answer?
                      Ant.

Comment

Hi thats a Victorian knife made about 1860 loads were made for home use and export,if you look in the Lyle price guide of Military Arms and Armour their are very similar examples classed as bowie knives but without the clip back blade make good prices too. regards RMR

Comment

Are you sure that it is 1860's?

Looks that handle is made from plastic. Bakelite, earliest type of plastic, was introduced in early 20 century.

Pattern and colour of the handle is exactly matching some versions of civilan single/double pocket-knives handles.

Comment

i THINK THE GRIP IS an early form of GUTTA PERCHA rubber type resin base .

PAUL

Comment

Thank you, I didn't know that such material was used.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X