No announcement yet.

battledress P37

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for showing the Belgian BD's. I have never seen these before. I would agree, the two BD's shown match. I put down the detail differences to it being private purchase.

Never seen that pattern of cap before either.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

The tan BD is a production item, not private purchase. In one of the photos you can see what appears to be a black ink blob. It's actually an "X" used to mark surplus items. You can also make out the remains of the inspectors marks. While not clear, they share the format used by British garment makers. I suspect this was a Brit-made contract item for one of the postwar millitaries that used battledress.

Comment

Battledress Modifications

I am certain that this is a good 37 pattern BD that has had some modifications. The black X is usually a cancellation stamp over the A/V (anti-gas) proofing dates seen on some BD, totally correct for mid war. The shoulder pads are a common addition too, I have several in my collection with these and other modifications and also I've had numerous tailored/altered examples through my hands over the years. Some mods are very professionally done others are quite crude and nearly all are done to the soldiers personal requirements, so there is no hard and fast rule. I wish I had more time to detail other variations but if anyone wants any pointers I'll try to get some pics done from the collection, I have many examples so hopefully I can answer some questions and raise some others too
        Lee

Comment

About the BD in the start off the topic. Shouldn`t it have two inside pockets? (p37) I only see one.

Jeroen

Comment

Correct, earlier BD should have two inner pockets, but one I have has had one pocket removed to make the shoulder pads with, you can still see the label on the pad inside. Strange but true!
            Lee

Comment

Well, it also has only one hook to close the collar, it should have 2 hooks.
              In my opinion this isn`t a Britisch made p37 Battle Dress, to many non textbook things.

Comment

I dunno, the collar lining and area down the front of the blouse seem to have been extensively modified.I would personally agree with Lee, a British manufactured blouse, but one heavily retailored and re-used post-war, from wat I can see there's been quite a lot of re-sewing and additional material.Shoulder ads arn't a definate sign, I've also had British used BD with them added to square out the shoulders, it's one of many mods. Obvious question would be is there any sign or ghosting from rank or unit insignia present?

Comment

Mayby you are correct but in howfare is this a ww2 retailered BD then.
                  You cant say if it is period done, better to look out for a textbook one. Although i bought him to for 20 pounds. Sure you can sell him again for that money. I`m aware of many ww2 tailered/altered BD`s, but is a BD like this correct for a ww2 display....well i`m much off topic and its almost midnight overhere maybe i`m have to go to bed.........

Comment

Originally posted by MichalMag View Post
                    Thanks

Is this bd on 100% for polisch efficers internee to Switzerland?

No they wore SD mostly

Comment

Originally posted by JEROEN1944 View Post
                      About the BD in the start off the topic. Shouldn`t it have two inside pockets? (p37) I only see one.

Jeroen
                      Later reduced to one in January 1943, saving on materials due the wartime economy crisis.

Scott
                      Last edited by Mons 1914; 03-25-2008, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Guys,
                        The khaki blouse is not a P37 Blouse. Nor is it a P40. It's postwar manufacture. The construction is vastly different from any of the wartime blouses and also unique to processes used on the postwar patterns. It's not a tailor made blouse and it's not a modified wartime blouse used postwar.

I've reattached the photos I added to the thread last year. It's a postwar Belgian AF blouse. It shares most of the features of the khaki blouse. Same notch near the top button. Same shoulder pads. Same extra button placed on the bottom. Same long curved piece of fabric starting near the waistband and arching up into the mid-collar area.

The only British BD to feature this stepped notch near the top button are RAF postwar blouses. Neither the P37, P40, P46, P47, or P49 khaki blouses feature this step.

The waistband button first appears on the P47 blouse.

An "X" on the label generally indicates the item as being surplus. It's present on bren gun spare barrel bags I have along with a Denison smock and numerous bits of web gear I have. I don't believe any of these items ever received Anti-Vesicant (anti-gas) treatments.

Originally posted by SprogCollector View Post

Last edited by SprogCollector; 03-23-2008, 10:19 AM.

Comment

I am not really into British stuff but check this forum just for reference. I don't know about the jacket but the overseas hat appears to be an American WWI enlistedman's (OR for you Brits) hat. Probably of European manufacture but that is hard to tell from the pictures, but definitely American style.

Comment

Hi! Overseas is polish style for me, not american....

About bd.... i think it is not belgian, cos it was found in Poland with british officers trousers 1944year and with this overseas. Polish officers liked modify their blouses, in my opinion one of polsih officer's modified this bd... and that is all.

Comment

Hi! My friend have the same pattern bd Look I think my it's not belgian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X