Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cdn Services Records...

Hello All,

Is there a simple link to get a Canadian ww2 vets service record with just knowing his full name? I know what branch of service too.

Ive tried all the government sites and wow! I cant get anywhere!

Can anyone offer me any help?

Cheers

unless you are a close relative or have the death certificate the government files are closed for a few more years. I f you know the members branch of service I would suggest you look up the regimental home pages and see if you can link up with vets or regimental records held by the unit. This approach worked well for me when I purchased a Korea pair and on a hunch contacted the PPCLI association and got an instant reply from a vet who put me in touch with the actual vet who's medals had been stolen in the early sixties.

PAUL

Comment

Here is a link to the Collections Canada form that you need to fill our to obtain service records. The rules are on the form.

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/obj/...-909.007-e.pdf

Gary

Comment

You can also visit the Royal Canadian Legion website. They have a listing of all those members who passed away in the last 20 years. It's easy to do search and get some info on him/her - if they were legion members.

Greg

Comment

The files of WWII servicemen (same goes for Korea as well) are certainly not closed.

However, unless you can prove that death occurred 20 or more years ago, you will receive a censored copy of the service record, with much of the deemed "personal" information blacked out.

It's still usually well worth it as one is able to trace the career progression of the soldier, determine medal entitlement and the like.

If you don't have the full details on the recipient (eg. lacking the service number, etc) you may be well advised to request the file thru a researcher who is more likely to do a more thorough job. It will cost a bit more but is generally faster and often will uncover additional information that may not be provided by a simple request to the National Archives.

Hope that helps.

Adam

Comment

Last edited by pete; 11-26-2007, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Thanks to all that posted on how to look up this vets details. I believe he has been deceased for 8 yrs now, I am not a relative. I have tried all the sites that people have suggested and I cant seem to get anywhere...not frustrating but not as much fun as I expected

I have the vets full name and the unit he served in. I have his combat tunic and heard a few tails from his family on this career and service in ww2. If anyone would like to help me find more info on this Cdn ww2 vet please feel free to pm me and I can share the little details I have.

Thanx

Comment

what unit did he serve in ? Vic

PAUL

Comment

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=253166

Theres the link to the tunic, picture says it all.

Thanx

Comment

You will have to send a request by mail to get a copy of the service file. These are not available online. Or...send an email to a researcher to undertake the research for you.

You may also consider contacting the Westminster Regiment who may have other information available. However, reliability and availability tends to vary widely from one regiment to another.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam J. Haslett View Post
                      You will have to send a request by mail to get a copy of the service file. These are not available online. Or...send an email to a researcher to undertake the research for you.

If you wish to go the route of a reasercher, drop me a PM and I will give you the name of one who is good.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X