tragic photograph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tragic photograph

have a look at the faces of these men. It's March 26th 1941 and they seem quite happy to be in uniform for their country. They are the men of the Tasmanian section of the 2/3rd Motor Ambulance Convoy. After the photo they took turns autographing it so after the war the owner of the photo, T.A Aiken, could look back and remember his good mates. However, the owner of the photograph never made it home. Nor did most of the men in this photo.

The fall of Singapore was a swift one and tragically, this is where these men were based. Upon researching all of the decipherable names on this photograph; you can't help but feel shocked as you realise that they never made it home.

The men in this photograph helped build the Burma railway and near the end of the war, some of the survivors were loaded in the Japanese ship Oryoku Maru, which was sunk on the way to Japan by the American submarine, USS Sealion II. The survivors were either picked up by American or Japanese naval craft. The ones who were picked up the Americans made it home however the ones picked up by Japanese ships spent the rest of the war working in the Japanese war industry.

Every time I look at the photo of these hopeful, young men I can't help but feel sad.

- Chris
    Attached Files

closeup

a close up of the men.
    Attached Files

Comment

Very nice photo and story. I know how you feel, my Uncle was in the Marines and his whole regiment was captured by the Japanese and sent to a prison camp. The regiment ceased to exist at that point for a few years. When I think about all those men who died as a result it's very sobering. It does me good to know they're not forgotten, though.

Comment

hi Varg, thanks for the reply! I really appreciate you taking the time.

It's a very sad story about your uncle. Did he survive captivity? You're right; they're not forgotten as long as people like us remember. I am planning to give a copy of this photo to the local military history museum here in Hobart, Tasmania, so even more people will be aware of these men and their demise.

- Chris

Comment

Hi Chris, indeed a sad and poignant photograph.

It is a nice gesture to give a copy of this photo to the museum. Hang onto the original yourself.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

A very interesting and poignant photo, thanks for sharing.

As some of you know, my great-uncle died as a POW of the Japanese following the Fall of Singapore...thus stories like this tend to really hit home with me.

Cheers,

Adam

Comment

thanks for the replies, guys. I will ask the museum if they're interested and hopefully they will be.

Adam, I am very sorry to hear of your great-uncle dying as a PoW. It's a damn shame that many great men were treated like dirt in PoW camps and died in their thousands.

- Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X