Help Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Please!

Would appreciate some feedback on the formation badge. What is it?

Also, the second ribbon on the top (solid color) is a mystery to me.

Thanks.
    Attached Files

ribbon

Attached Files

Comment

The formation sign is that of "The War Office" and was used from 1946 onwards.

Sorry I cannot help on the ribbon.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

The second ribbon matches - as far as I can judge by the colour and width - only 2 British awards.

First, the Victoria Cross - which of course would not be worn AFTER his Order of the British Empire.

Second, a pre-1936 Civil Division of the OBE. That too seems improbable: that one man would wear two ribbons for the same order, even if he earned it twice, which I don't believe is possible .
        One becomes a member of the OBE then is promoted in grade for later accomplishments, so it's just possible he might have retained the earlier ribbon - perhaps for civil work with the St. John's Brigade - after receiving his military OBE. I suspect that wearing both would be against regs., though if he was a 'staff wallah' of sufficient rank, as perhaps suggested by the formation sign, he might have gotten away with it.
        Are their rank badges on the tunic? This looks like a rack worn by a senior officer who may have stayed in between the wars. Or perhaps, sorry to say, a made up selection.

My tuppence worth
        Peter

Comment

I'll stick my neck out and say the Order of the Bath, he has the requisite MiD to become a Companion.

Tony will tell you what it really is of course .

Comment

My guess would be Order ofthe Bath as well.

Gary

Comment

hmm

Thanks guys. My thoughts are that it is the Order of the Bath. The ribbons are in order. The tunic has Lt. General rank, and from the ribbons, he served in WWI, India, WWII and after.

Here's a photo of Sir Richard Alan Fyffe's (KBE, CB, DSO, MC) tunic, who has the same set-up. From his decorations, it seems that the ribbon could be the CB?
              Attached Files

Comment

Companion Of The Bath!

Seems Likely. Any Input Appreciated.
                Thank.

Comment

It's one of these:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/CB

Comment

ta very much!

Love the site

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X