Fleet Air Arm Visor Cap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fleet Air Arm Visor Cap

Would like some opinions on this cap. What rank is it for? I must admit I'm only an RAF guy, seldom do I see FAA stuff. I'm convinced it's authentic, being as it's same construction as my RAF Group Captain, with the same manufacturer and everything. What would one expect to pay for this cap? Hope you enjoy!

Looks good but why do you think its FAA? Rob
    God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

There is no distinction between General Service and FAA caps, that finished with the amalgamation of the RFC and RNAS.

The cap shown is for a Commander, Captain or Commodore, Flag Rank had the extra scrambled egg at the top of the peak much the same as Air Rank caps.

OT. It's always puzzled me why the RFC and RNAS amalgamated and then the Royal Navy formed the FAA and the Army the AAC :-)

Comment

Originally posted by ROBB View Post
        Looks good but why do you think its FAA? Rob
        Well, honestly, I know there's no distinction between FAA and RN, but since I'm obsessed with the RAF and its commonwealth equivalents, whenever I see one of these caps, I think FAA, plus that's the display it's in. FAA, RN who knows? It's nice to think it may have been though

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Maclean View Post
          It's always puzzled me why the RFC and RNAS amalgamated and then the Royal Navy formed the FAA and the Army the AAC :-)
          Because prior to the formation of the FAA, all naval air operations came under the auspices of the Air Ministry (Naval Air Branch) and aircraft were operated by the RAF - their crews having dual RN/RAF rank. Obviously it was a far from practical situation - though one of the first instances of what would later become 'the norm' with current 'Joint' operations. The creation of the FAA was the obvious solution. Also to be taken in to account was the increasing usage of carriers as a major fleet asset - such progressive attitudes being absent at the Admiralty in 1918.

The AAC were a direct result of the use of gliders. Whilst the RAF were happy to deliver the goods, they simply could not afford to have valuable pilots being used as soldiers once they'd completed the initial part of the overall mission. Far simpler (and logical) to train a soldier as a pilot than the other way around.

Fixed wing operations were still the preserve of the RAF until they were absorbed in to the Army post-war. Again, this was in the interests of expediency. The advances in rotary winged technology and its tactical uses saw the Army develop it along a different route to that employed by the RAF. It can seem confusing to the uninitiated, but logically it does make sense.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X