beret

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

beret

Hi! What do you think about this beret? Is it original?

HI there,

Technically not a beret but a GS Cap. Star may or may not be original to the cap (hard to tell from the blurry photos) but I suspect it's okay. Looks okay overall to me. Would need a hands on inspection to be 100%. I'd be happy to add it to my collection if the price was right.

Just my .02

Cheers,
    Greg

PS. Is it possible to see the maker stamp? I own several of these and all of them are of one maker (Collins I believe? I'm at work so I can't recall). This one seems to be different.

EDIT: I'm at home now. The caps that I have are made by J. Collett, London and not Collins as I stated above. Apologies for the mess up.
    Last edited by GregK; 10-22-2007, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Hi! What's "GS cap"? First time i heard this...

Comment

Hi Michal,

Sorry...I should have been more clear. The "GS Cap" refers to the General Service cap.Any of the ones I have seen have been dated 1945. I have many photos of Poles wearing these very near the end of the war or just after.

Dziekuje,
        Grzegorz

Comment

It was introduced into service around 1943 as general issue headgear for all members of the Army not provided with their own branch specific headgear as a matter of course (i.e. Scottish units, Royal Armoured Corps, Airborne Forces, Recce Corps etc.). The GS Cap replaced the Field Service side-cap and was issued to units progressively, it depended where in the world they were serving but the majority of units received it by late 44/early 45 and most received it much earlier. It differed from a 'beret' in having a multi-piece construction and headband made of the same material as the body of the hat, i.e. wool searge, berets off-course having a narrower headband of leather or cloth and knitted in one piece.

Your GS hat is quite definately original, not sure about the insignia or it's originality to the hat though, would agree that better images are needed.

Comment

Hi! Thanks for reply! I bouht it today for 283zl (51pounds).

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X