Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ernest Ottley

Hello,

I have this photo postcard that was sent home by a British POW in July, 1942. His name was Ernest Ottley and his service number was 14987. At the time the photo was taken, he was being held in Stalag XXA. I have found out that this camp was in or near Thorn, Poland. The card was addressed to a Mr. J. Mulcarthy (not positive of the spelling), living at 64 Peabody Buildings, Block A, London N.I or M.I., England.
    Mr. Ottley states his return address as Stalag XXA and then he put the number 35 after the Stalag number. He also stated the country as Deutschland, which I believe to be in error.

Unfortunately, I don't know which of these 12 brave men are Ernest Ottley. I assume these twelve men were all members of the same prison barracks, but don't know this for sure. If someone could help me trace Mr. Ottley's service, such as his rank,regiment, date captured, date freed, I'd appreciate it.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by StuGIII View Post
    service number was 14987
    John, service numbers 1 to 294,000 were allocated to the Royal Army Service Corps. Can't answer the other questions.

Cheers, Luc

Comment

Ernest Ottley

Hi Luc,

Thanks for the information. What did the Royal Army Service Corps do?

Comment

R.A.S.C. were the transport and supply corps for the army.

Comment

Ernest Ottley

Hi Ciaran,

Thanks for the response.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X