Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tommy with German ammo pouch?

Hi,
    I've found this photo in book about Anzio-Nettuno battle. It was described this way: allied officers are checking a 280 mm gun. So the soldier on the foreground must be British but the pouches... Was it popular to use those kind of German stuff by the allied soldiers?
    Thanks in advance

The rifle dosen't look British either.

I don't think he's British.

Comment

HE ALSO HAS A MAUSER RIFLE . As local militias and partisans cooperated with the allies I wonder if he is a local

PAUL

Comment

Hi Paul, I think you are right.

The cap and trousers are not British either. He looks like he is wearing a Battledress blouse though.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Except Italian partizants also Free French used German gear and weapon (also in Italy), I have few pictures of French - they have mix of French/British/German/US items.

From pictures that I have seen, with captured stuff are:
          - British (or other Commonwealth) soldier with Beretta SMG (Africa)
          - British with small (likely Italian) pistol holster connected to rifle sling (Africa)
          - British with German mess tin (Italy)
          - British airman with Italian water bottles (they found the bottles on the way back after being shot)
          - Polish with German pistol holster (P38?)
          - British and Canadian (2 pictures) with French HMG (Europe after D-day)
          - SAS on training with German SMG

In few sources was mentioned that was common to use captured German binoculars. However except 2 ZEISS binoculars with British markings I do not know other evidences.

Comment

Soldier at right is definately not British, I'd say if it is Italy he's partisan or it could be somehwere like Yugoslavia as large quantities of British BD were dropped to partisan groups.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X