Canadian Militia Shako Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canadian Militia Shako Plate

Hello Gents, would be interested in hearing your opinions on this piece including the era etc, being as I'm an airforce guy, not army..., and what a possible value of it would be. It looks as if the fastening lugs have been repaired.

Thanks!

Hi Mike, what you have there is the centre of a star shaped helmet plate to a shako or helmet for the 33rd Battalion, Canadian Militia circa 1908. The 33rd is the Huron Battalion of Infantry. As I understand it, in 1908 the King came to Canada in celabration of the tercentenery of British rule in Canada. A massive military tattoo was held on the Plains of Abraham to commemorate British rule. Almost all the many Canadian units were represented and as there was a multitude of designs re insignia a common badge was desined for use by all.

So, you have a helmet centre out of a helmet plate. As to rarity, some regiments are more actively collected than others. Cavalry and Scottish regiments seem to be more activley collected as are perpetuating battalions to famous WW1 and WW2 regiments.

Greg
    Last edited by sabertasche; 10-15-2007, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Sweet! Thanks for the info. I've had it for a while, and didn't know a thing about it. I like the story!

Comment

"As I understand it, in 1908 the King came to Canada in celebration of the tercentenary of British rule"

Just a little correction at the time he was George, Prince of Wales (later King George V).

The official reason for the visit was for the Quebec City's tercentenary not the anniversary of British rule.

Even at that time it would of been political suicide to celebrate such a thing in Quebec.

Comment

Oh come on! We love our british friends!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X