1856 pattern Enfield sword bayonet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1856 pattern Enfield sword bayonet

I've been given a p.1856 Enfield bayonet by a friend. It had been in his family's cottage here in Manitoba for decades, and is in relic condition. The only marking I've been able to find is a 'C' over '2' on the top of the pommel. It has a screw retaining the spring, which I've read dates it from 1858-on......I'd appreciate any info. on the C over 2 marking, and who would have used this bayonet when? Thanks for any ideas or leads offered. - Rob

BOB the most probable meaning would be second company there are no Canadian Militia markings that match this. There are probably more markings so try having a second look under magnification there should be something further there.

PAUL

Comment

Thanks Paul. I've gone over it several times with both a magnifying glass and a 10X loupe, and I can't find other markings, even in sunlight. The blade, crossguard, and pommel sides aren't pitted much so I'm 99% sure there's nothing there. The tang has the worst pitting, but it's so narrow, I don't think they'd stamp it there?......Were they still carrying these bayonets during the Northwest Rebellion? - Cheers, Rob

Comment

Hi Rob, I cant help with your stamping, but I do recall these bayonets had an extremely long life as it was used with the Snider rifle and was later bushed to suit the Martini Henery rifle. It had a common fault of bending or twisting in the heat of battle. I am pretty sure most of the blades were imported from Germany and like swords were case hardened, subsequent regrinding or even deep polishing removed the hardend shell and left a blade that could be bent or twisted. I believe its repeated failure in the hand to hand fighting in the Zulu and Sudan Campaigns caused the British Government to commission the Wilkinson Sword company to set up a Bayonet and sword factory.

Comment

Correct the bayonet had a long life in CANADA and coming from Manitoba probably has 1885 and little black devils written all over it

PAUL

Comment

Thanks for your responses; most interesting!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X