Australian 2/12th infantry btn. pennant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australian 2/12th infantry btn. pennant

hi all, I just thought I would share this... it's a 2/12th infantry battalion pennant. The 2/12th infantry battalion was raised in WW2 and was primarily comprised of Tasmanians. It was present during the siege of Tobruk and also at Milne Bay, which saw the first defeat of land-based Japanese forces.

It's quite fitting the pennant is blue with white writing as the units colour patch is a white upon blue rectangle...

- Chris
    Attached Files

8 replies for a post-war tommy helmet but not one reply for this beautiful pennant. Unbelievable.

- Chris

Comment

Originally posted by chippler View Post
      hi all, I just thought I would share this... it's a 2/12th infantry battalion pennant. The 2/12th infantry battalion was raised in WW2 and was primarily comprised of Tasmanians. It was present during the siege of Tobruk and also at Milne Bay, which saw the first defeat of land-based Japanese forces.

It's quite fitting the pennant is blue with white writing as the units colour patch is a white upon blue rectangle...

- Chris
      G'da Chris,

Love the pennant. You lucky barstool, I collect to the 12th too as my family have been associated since the Boer War.

One correction, the unit was at its intial stage predominately Queenslanders, this info is from their history written by the 2/12th Association, the author is Tasmanian btw. I will post some info here if you like (just having a quick breather at work).
      If you can get a copy of the two volume history I highly recommend it. Again I will post the details here later. You won't be able to get it through a bookshop, the books I have were from a stall in Salamanca Markets found during a port visit.

Regards;

Johnsy

Comment

hey Johnsy,
        thanks for the reply, mate. I am happy someone likes me pennant. I found it by chance on eBay and it went for relatively cheap (the bastard of a seller actually charged me more for postage than the cost of the pennant!)

I knew the 2/12th was made up of Queenslanders but had no idea they were the majority. It's good to learn something new.

I had my eye on those books on eBay however they went for too much so I may scour the salamanca market for them. It's a good excuse to take the girlfriend out haha.

- Chris

Comment

The breakdown for the Battalion in total:

Tasmania: 1036

Queensland: 1287

Victoria: 492

New South Wales: 597

South Australia: 147

New Guinea: 5

Western Australia: 38

Northern Territory: 1

Other: 7

United Kingdom: 3

This list does not include members who joined up after the 15th of August 1945.

This from Brigadier John Field C.B.E., D.S.O, E.D.

"By the 16th November we had 15 officers and 389 other ranks enlisted, 107 other ranks short of the Tasmanian quota of the Battalion. On this day we had the first battalion parade, at which I spoke on the need for unsparing effort to qualify for the test to come."

And one of my favourite quotes:

"Most of us had never seen a real live Tasmanian before, and we looked with interest at these men from the Apple Isle. They stood out from the Queenslanders, with their white skin and rosy cheeks. In the body they were shorter and stockier than us, as Queenslanders tend towards the lean and rangier build."

If you hang on for a bit I am going to digitalise the books, "Of Storms and Rainbows". What was the asking price for the books on e-bay?

I.S. Wright here in Sydney are asking $100 just for the first volume.

Regards;

Johnsy

Comment

the "... never seen a real live Tasmanian..." quote is hilarious.

I had no idea Queenslanders outnumbered Tasmanian's in the battalion. I cannot remember how much the books went for but definitely in the $100's

- Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X