Cheap Entry Level WW2 Special Forces Militaria Purchases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap Entry Level WW2 Special Forces Militaria Purchases

Crazy prices appear to be the norm when it comes to WW2 Special Forces militaria. Are there any bargains to be had and is there anything left out there for someone who is just entering this field of collecting to buy on a meager budget?

The answer is YES.

I think it would be great if we could each choose an item of militaria with a special forces connection...........and state its case for being a collectable of the future..........but more importantly it has to be CHEAP!

I shall open with the Royal Marines silk embroidered shoulder titles as worn during WW2 on the battledress. I believe these are an excellent purchase, discovered in bulk I am lead to believe from an old Navy store. Price is £4 per pair............compare that price to its Airborne equivalent! I believe these represent an excellent investment.

I look forward to posts from the many SF collectors on forum.

Steve.

Good price on them but there are those who would argue that only a few select Royal Marine units could be considered "special forces".

Comment

Hi there , if they are original you`ve got a bargin , however , the firm that made these durring the war knocked out a load of these a few years back along with the straight ` commando` title done in the same style along with a few fantasy items such as ` womens timber corps ` i think the copies are a fraction narrower ? hope im wrong ? regards ,Michael.

Comment

Well, I've won a fair share of bargains on ebay but the only thing that would match your criterium would be the formation sign for RASC air despatch units showing a yellow Dakota on a blue background.

One could argue though they're not really special forces, but "just" support troops.

Here's my uncut embroidered set, cost around 20 pounds if memory serves me well.

Cheers, Luc

Comment

The "SOE" jack knife with "tyre slasher" blade is still a bit of a bargain. Can still be had for about sixty quid if you are persistent and lucky. Very reasonable compared to say a fairbairn. Love those AD Luc.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
            Love those AD Luc.
            Thanks Guy, you might want to see this one too then.

Any idea why the top of the tail is missing? Poor design or could it refer to the fact aircraft were often heavily damaged by ack-ack during low altitude supply drops?

Comment

Hmmm...I find it unlikely that a badge would be produced to depict an aircraft damaged by enemy action.

Probably a design flaw of some sort.

Comment

possibly that piece was missed during the screening or I suspect the screen may have been damaged and mended in that area.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post
                  I suspect the screen may have been damaged and mended in that area.
                  Sounds like a plausible theory.

Cheers, Luc

Comment

the top of the tail is missing on ALL the original printed examples I have ever seen of this patch

Comment

Here's a picture taken at the Hartenstein airborne museum this weekend, the tail is "virgo intacta".

Comment

the destinction between complete tail section and tail section missing is believe , ones war time the other is post war ,regards ,Michael.

Comment

Would that also be the case with the embroidered version in post #4?

Luc

Comment

I think you may find that the printed minus door version with complete tail plane was produced post war, the embroidered on felt minus door version from around 1960 up to 1993, at the same time a heavy embroidered on twill version with door was worn during the 1980's by some AD's, another printed version was produced in 1993 flying to the right only and a woven version circa 2002 flying both ways with door on the left.

Comment

Marc, if I get it right all embroidered examples are post-war? B*gger!

Cheers, Luc

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X