Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 Coldstream Guards insignia question

4 (Tank) Battalion Coldstream Guards
    The battalion was raised as an infantry battalion in October 1941, it became a motor battalion in 1941 then converted to a tank battalion on 15 January 1943. it was disbanded on 7 August 1946.
    The Guardsman whose badges these were joined the battalion a few weeks before the war ended. At that time photographs show that the Coldstreamers wore the shoulder title above the red “IV” over the formation sign of 6 Guards Armoured Brigade.
    I assume that the “4” badge is a post war one but does anyone know when it came into use? It can’t have been in use for very long.

update...

and this is how the insignia was worn...

Comment

I knew I had something to this somewhere. Sadly the value of this grouping is nothing as there is no box for the WW2 medals. It makes me so sad to say that since Mr Thompson probably faced danger many times. As medal collectors we have a lot to learn.

What I shame that there is no indication of what vehicle he drove.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for that. I'd hoped some one could have told me more about the "4" patch but, fingers crossed, it'll be in the next issue of the "Formation Sign" and that may prompt an answer.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X