Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Named 1914-1915 Star

Hi guys,

Can anyone elaborate why it's marked this way rather than just 1914 or 1914-1918? Any concerns with authenticity. Also... what does the ASC stand for? Thanks in advance.

Regards to all,
    Stu
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

...because it was awarded for service in a theatre of war between 5 August 1914 and 31 December 1915

...it is original and ASC means Army Service Corps, in this case Canadian ASC.

Jack.

Comment

That was fast.

Well now,

The ink was hardly dry on my request and already an answer. Thanks Jack, much appreciated.

Regards,
          Stu

Comment

Edward Patrick McGowan enlisted in the C.E.F at St. John, N.B. on 6 April 1915.

His service number 1732 is in the block of numbers assigned to H.Q. No. 5 Company, 2nd Divisional Train.

Here is a link to images of his Attestation Paper. He appears to have survived the war as I did not find him in CVWM.

http://tinyurl.com/37lsmt

Cheers, Ken

Comment

Hi Stu,

Just to add a bit to the previous posts... The 1914-15 Star was awarded to Commonwealth troops who were in a theatre of war before the end of 1915. About 71K Canadians received the medal.

McGowan would have also received the British War Medal (silver), and the Interallied Victory Medal (bronze), so you have 1/3 of what is commonly referred to as a WWI Trio. Perhaps the other 2 medals are kicking around somewhere?

As you know, I am away from home so cannot check him out in any of my databases etc but will do so when I return in the next week or 2. I will see if he is entitled to other medals beyond the usual Trio.

And, rest assured, it looks perfectly correct. No problems with authenticity, and the naming is as it should be for a 1914-15 Star.

Cheers

Adam

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
              X