Paratrooper scarfs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paratrooper scarfs

Can someone please tell me if the camoflage scarf that the paratroopers wear around their necks have been reproduced? I have seen two different type come available on Ebay, a darker green version and a lighter green/khaki version.

Were these both used during WWII or is one a reproduction. If they were both used, but reproductions are also made now, is there a way to tell the difference between the originals?

Thanks

Yes very much so (as well as almost every ofther peice of kit issued to them) has been reproduced.

As for the ones on ebay I would say either 100% reprodution or at best post war production.

BTW I would shy away form anything Airbore/paratrooper on ebay much to easy to get burned.

Some of the real collectors on the site might offer an opinion on how to tell the difference

Comment

The paler green and ochre pieces are the ones to go for. Dark green and dark brown any time from very late war to last week.

Yours, Guy.

Comment

The colour is a guide, but you need to look closer. War-time scarves have a different "feel" to them due to their construction. Below is the war-time weave. Note the fine cotton strands that wraps around the horizontal threads:
        Attached Files

Comment

Compare this to an early post-war scarf:

Regards,
          Steve
          Attached Files

Comment

Also the long edges of the war time scarf are not re-enforced. Post-war scrves have a hem. War time edges are a single strand.
            Attached Files

Comment

Whoopee! I have two good ones then.

Cheers, Luc

Comment

Face veil/scarf

Those are great examples, thank you very much for sharing that with us. I'll check the one I have tomorrow.

Comment

well put Steve but I don't agree about colour. Have never see an ochre and lime that had the post war manufacturing traits.

Guy.

Comment

Face veil/scarf

Well unfortunately mine did not pass the test based on Steve's criteria. Fortunately it came with a large group of field gear so I'm not out a lot of money.

Now I'll have to keep my eyes open for two real ones.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X