Medal information help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Medal information help please.

First of all apology's if this is in the wrong forum and please move if it is.
    Is there anyway to find out if an individual was entitled to any medals earned during WW2 and if it is still possible to be issued with them?
    My father served in the R.A.F. and was stationed in India for the majority of his time. He never claimed any medals even though I'm sure he said he may be entitled to some.
    I obviously have his name, number etc and would like to know who to contact to find out more. If anyone can help I would be grateful.
    Thank you in advance.

One thing is for sure he is entitled to several and records should show that they where never claimed opening up the door for you as next of kin to claim them. GOODLUCK - Others from the UK will shortly steer you in the right direction
    Two documents you will need for sure are a death certificate and proof of next of kin
    Last edited by paulbear; 08-04-2007, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Cheers Paul,
      Death certificate may be a little tricky as he is still alive!

Comment

WELL certainly pleased to hear that, then he can claim them personally. Maybe you can give us some of his service details in India

PAUL

Comment

As I see you are in Alberta your best bet would be to check out the Vetrans affairs web site and get a few contact # and call someone and they will open a file for the vet in question.

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/clients/sub...ource=services

They are very good at this and in recent years have been doing this alot as the war generation is leaving us so quickly.

Opps a few mins searching and I found this link

http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/general/sub...neralfaq#apply

Which will help you alto.

The mail thing makes alot of sense in the case of my old uncle Bill who received in the mail the France and Germany Start and the 39-45 star when the furtest away he ever served was 2 miles from his house. (he was a WWI vet in the RCAF in WWII as a pay clerk). Seems he had a yourger dobbleganger serving overseas.
          Last edited by byterock; 08-05-2007, 02:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by byterock View Post
            As I see you are in Alberta
            Hi byterock,
            I'm in the U.K.

Comment

I have a friend living here in Ontario Canada and served in the RAF, he was a British subject then but a Canadian citizen now and he approached me about his medals and I referred him the the Service Officer of the branch we belonged to of the Royal Canadian Legion and the service officer got him all the info he required and put him in contact with the proper people to get his medals. From what I understand servicemen are entitled to their issue set of medals and one set of replacement medals if the issue set was lost or stolen at no charge

Comment

I found a U.K. site called "ROYAL AIR FORCES ACCOCIATION"on the net.They have a phone #0116=266-5224. Try and see if these people can help you out. Good luck.

Comment

Try here;
                  Armed Forces Personnel Administration Agency
                  Ministry of Defence Medal Office
                  Building 250
                  Royal Air Force Innsworth
                  Gloucestershire
                  GL3 1HW

Comment

Thanks to all for your help. I will be writing to the MOD Medal office as this would seem to be the best option but I sincerely appreciate all who have helped.
                    My father has given me his side cap, unworn beret which he was issued with at the end of the war, a ditty bag and a piece of Heinkel He111 that he picked up after one crashed in London. He also has his tropical uniform tunic and shorts and one or two other items which I hope to obtain in due course and will post them and other details of his service if it is of interest to fellow members.
                    Thank you once again.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X