British GSW 1941 Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

British GSW 1941 Helmet

I just picked up a British helmet marked GSW 1942. It is complete with liner and elastic embedded chin strap. I was wondering if these are collectible or still considered surplus iitems.

Thank you,
    Bob Hritz
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

GSW (General Steel Wares) is a Canadian maker and since Canada never adopted the elasticized chinstrap for the Mk II helmet, it would sound like you have a pieced together helmet. That being said, MK II helmets are much more of a collector's item these days, especially if the original painted finish is intact. GSW made helmets are normally stamped Mk I for some unknown reason... perhaps a misunderstanding at the factory.

Comment

Hi Bob, please show us a pic if you can, as I wonder if there is a bit of confusion re the chinstrap?

Brit/Commonwealth helmets are still very cheap compared to their German counterpart but are becoming more appreciated if untouched.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Front of helmet
        Attached Files

Comment

Interior
          Attached Files

Comment

Markings. It is marked GSW MK1 1941
            Attached Files

Comment

Yes, there was some confusion about the chinstrap... the strap on the helmet shown is not elasticized but has springs, and is the correct strap for a Canadian made helmet. It has a post war service number added to the rim and it also "appears" to have been repainted post war as many of these helmets were (many will be found with a shiney dark green finish). It may not be repainted but the close-up photo of the markings shows a heavier than usual layer of paint and there seems to be two colours present. I might be mistaken though as the colour looks good. A repainted helmet in my experience does not sell for as much as one with the original WW2 paint. However, it is an original helmet and I wouldn't mess with it.

Comment

Thank you very much. It was a garage sale find. Since it may be post-war painted over, it is off to ebay. I was hoping it would be a British WWII.

Bob Hritz

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X